cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Rebel in the UK

denimknight
Apprentice

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking for some help.

I currently use a bridge camera and am looking to move up to a DSLR, want to give astro photography a try.

I'm on a bit of budget so I'm going a second hand camera.  I have the choice between:

Rebel T1i

EOS 500D

Rebel T2i

EOS 550D

I know that the T1i and 500D are the same camera just named differently (same with the T2i and 550D), but was wondering if the Rebel versions will work ok over here in the UK or if I'll need to get some kind of adapter.

Also price wise, there is £30 between the T1i and T2i, is there enough of a difference between these two cameras to pay the extra £30 or will I not really notice the difference?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@denimknight wrote:

Hi all,

I currently use a bridge camera and am looking to move up to a DSLR, want to give astro photography a try.

I'm on a bit of budget so I'm going a second hand camera.  I have the choice between:

Rebel T1i

EOS 500D

Rebel T2i

EOS 550D

I know that the T1i and 500D are the same camera just named differently (same with the T2i and 550D), but was wondering if the Rebel versions will work ok over here in the UK or if I'll need to get some kind of adapter.

Also price wise, there is £30 between the T1i and T2i, is there enough of a difference between these two cameras to pay the extra £30 or will I not really notice the difference?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Alex

The T2i was considered to be a significant improvement over the Ti1; so all other things (condition, etc.) being equal, the T2i should be worth the extra money. But buying used equipment is always a gamble, so be careful. If you're dealing with a camera store, make sure they're reputable and try to get a guarantee that lets you return the camera if it doesn't work out. I don't know whether there's something comparable in the UK, but in the US Canon operates an online store that sells refurbished equipment, on an "as available" basis, with a guarantee comparable to the one they provide on new equipment.

You don't mention lenses. Unless they're all identical, any differences might affect your decision.

The nomenclature differences won't affect the cameras' performance. But it's possible that the "Rebels" may have U.S. battery chargers, in which case you'd probably need an adapter. I believe all Canon chargers work on both 110V and 220V AC, but our wall outlets are different from yours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@denimknight wrote:

Hi all,

Rebel T1i

EOS 500D

Rebel T2i

EOS 550D

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Alex

The T2i was considered to be a significant improvement over the Ti1; so all other things (condition, etc.) being equal, the T2i should be worth the extra money. But buying used equipment is always a gamble, so be careful. If you're dealing with a camera store, make sure they're reputable and try to get a guarantee that lets you return the camera if it doesn't work out. I don't know whether there's something comparable in the UK, but in the US Canon operates an online store that sells refurbished equipment, on an "as available" basis, with a guarantee comparable to the one they provide on new equipment.

You don't mention lenses. Unless they're all identical, any differences might affect your decision.

The nomenclature differences won't affect the cameras' performance. But it's possible that the "Rebels" may have U.S. battery chargers, in which case you'd probably need an adapter. I believe all Canon chargers work on both 110V and 220V AC, but our wall outlets are different from yours.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  The company I'm getting the camera from is pretty well known over here and does offer a guarantee and has a good reputation.

Both cameras are body only so I'll be buying the lens seperate...  Probably an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, either the IS or the IS STM model.

Thanks for the assist.

Cheers

Alex

@denimknight wrote:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  The company I'm getting the camera from is pretty well known over here and does offer a guarantee and has a good reputation.

Both cameras are body only so I'll be buying the lens seperate...  Probably an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, either the IS or the IS STM model.

Thanks for the assist.

Cheers

Alex

Definitely consider the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 if you can find one at a decent price. (And I can tell you straightaway that Ernie Biggs will agree with that recommendation.)  Smiley Wink

Bob

Plus 1.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can find one 🙂

First, both these cameras use the same processor, so the quality of the images should be pretty similar. (DIGAC 4) I doubt you would really notice the difference between the 15MP and 18MP, even with extreme cropping. If you want to get your feet wet, they aren't bad bodies to start with, IF they are inexpensive enough. I do agree that they are dated and you might be better off spending a little more on a T3 or even a T5.

The EF-S 18-55 is not a bad lens, but, is a base model. (A good base model, mind you) It is somewhat limited though. As long as you realize you are getting a base lens and can live with its limitations, you'll do OK. It would make a decent walking around lens. I would not recommend it for night photography though. For that I would suggest a fast prime (f 2.8 or lower) such as a Canon f1.8 50mm STM. It's inexpensive, covers a lot of sky, is lightweight, and a good lens for the price. 

Just remember, these are entry level bodies and lenses. They are a good place to start but at some time you will want to move up. 

"... the quality of the images should be pretty similar."

You are probably right (every litle helps, however) but there again you limit yourself to just one aspect of the camera comparison. Smiley Frustrated

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... there is £30 between the T1i and T2i, is there enough of a difference ..."

Almost always better to go with the newer model.  

EB

Bryston3bsst
Enthusiast

I had a 500D (T1i) and a 600D (T3i). Someone above mentioned that there was a 'significant' difference between the T1i and a T2i. I beg to differ. I noticed little to no difference in any aspect of the two cameras that I had. Both had fine picture quality and both functionally were very similar, I can't of anything worth mentioning between the two.

I was quite happy with both in the time I owned them and I think you will enjoy either one of them.

Announcements