cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Rebel T6s Camera Body with a Binocular Microscope

Mike8
Enthusiast

Hello All,  I'm a newbie to this forum and to using the T6s,  especially when it comes to settings necessary to make when attached to a binocular microscope.  I haven't been able to find any useful information in either the T6s manual, the Canon Utility software manual or YouTube.  I have the camera attached to the microscope via a lensless adapter,  and I also have the camera communicating with my MacBookPro using a USB cable.  The Live screen I get when looking at pond water is okay,  but no where near perfect.  I'm probably not using the correct camera settings, i.e., aperture, shutter speed, white balance, manual or auto, etc.  Would appreciate any information such as initial settings used with a micrscope for both stills and videos, and/or information on where to find literature on the subject.  Many thanks,  Mike8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The 2X adapter solved the image problem.  Thanks for everybody's imput.  Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I don't think this is the intended use for the camera, but I know they make stuff like this.  Can you share the make and model of the Binocular Microscope?

Maybe even a link to its webpage?

We'll do our best to help you determine if the equipment you want to use with the camera is even compatible in the first place.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm using a LW Scientific Revelation III binocular microscope with 4,10, 20, and 40X PLAN objectives.  The T6s does give a Live View of microscope specimens using either the Canon Utility software with my MacBookPro or Digicamcontrol software with my Windows 10 computer.  So far I haven't ventured to use the camera with the Canon Utility and the Windows computer.    I'm using a lenseless camera, attaching it to the scope using an adapter that takes the place of the camera lens on one side and a tube that slides down one of the binoculars on the scope side.  I've plugged the other binocular so light can't leak from it over to the one holding the camera.  One problem I'm having is the Live View background resembling the underside of a dinner plate.  The specimens themselves come through bright and sharp.  I'm going to try to attach a photo of what I'm talking about.  The specimen is a salt crystal.  Thanks for your interest.1.png

Have you investigated what it takes to attach a camera to the binocular microscope?  That is probably where you should be looking.  Or, just researching a camera to any binocular microscope.

What type of adapter are you using?  The image reminds of what you would see if you attached an APS-C lens to a full frame sensor body camera.  Your "dinner plate" looks like an image circle to me.  I'd bet that it is hard to focus a sharp image with the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The camera has no lens,  just a body.  One of the two 10X ocular lenses has been removed from the scope to allow the camera adapter to fit into one of the binocular tubes.  The camera to scope adapter has no lens.  There are adapters available in 2 or 10X.  As of now the live image is being created using a lensless camera,  a lensless adapter,  no ocular lens,  and my choice of four scope objectives ranging from 4-40X.  I think the salt crystal was taken with the 20X objective.   Mike

@Mike8 wrote:

The camera has no lens,  just a body.  One of the two 10X ocular lenses has been removed from the scope to allow the camera adapter to fit into one of the binocular tubes.  The camera to scope adapter has no lens.  There are adapters available in 2 or 10X.  As of now the live image is being created using a lensless camera,  a lensless adapter,  no ocular lens,  and my choice of four scope objectives ranging from 4-40X.  I think the salt crystal was taken with the 20X objective.   Mike

I understand all of that.  Did you understand my questions?  I asked what type of adapter you are using.  I asked have you tried to follow up with the manufacturer of the microscope.  

This is clearly NOT A CANON CAMERA ISSUE.  This is an issue with your microscope.  It may or may not be adaptable for digiscopeing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My scope works well with the Celestron 2 MP Imager,  which like the T6s,  is inserted into one of the binoculars,  the only difference being the imager not needing an adapter.  The imager has a 30X lens built into it,  so it combines with the objectives  for magnification, e.g., 30 times a 4X objective results in 120X.  I thought the T6s with its 24 MP would improve the quality of my stills and videos taken through the scope.  I have a 2X adapter on order.  Perhaps that in combination with the T6s  will lead to some better images.  We'll see.

The 2X adapter solved the image problem.  Thanks for everybody's imput.  Mike

Announcements