cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Manual with 750D/Rebel T6

mike21
Enthusiast

Mostly I photograph birds and use the manual setting with auto ISO, because both shutter speed and aperture are important. Often the exposure, as shown on the resultant screen image and histogram, needs adjustment, so I then manually set the ISO up or down, because "exposure compensation" will not work in Manual with Auto ISO. This way is crude because varying the ISO means one stop rather than theone third of a stop with exposure compensation. Is there a better/faster way?

27 REPLIES 27

Ok thank you I am looking into that now, I saw on Amazon one scope that comes with a Canon mount, angled viewing at a very reasonable price. 20X-60X with an 80mm objective lens.

@John_ wrote:

Ok thank you I am looking into that now, I saw on Amazon one scope that comes with a Canon mount, angled viewing at a very reasonable price. 20X-60X with an 80mm objective lens.

If you buy one, make sure that you can mount a camera on it.  Take a look at the eyepiece.  If it has an interchangeable eyepiece like a telescope, then it is likely that a camera can be attached, usually with a T-Mount adapter.

As for image quality, I am in the dark.  No doubt, common sense should rule the day.  Price and performance will likely go hand in hand.  A spotter is not my first lens choice.  It was just a suggestion for shooting subjects so far away.  

I would not expect the image quality to be comparable to a DSLR, but more like most telescopes.  A low power telescope could be something to consider, too.  I think spotting scopes would be far more portable than a telescope.

At those magnifications, you are going to need rather robust tripod, if you want to take photos.  The slightest touch will look like a 9.0 earthquake through the lens with a weak tripod.  A slight breeze can shake the rig, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks again! The one I was looking at comes with a Canon camera mount at a price of $149. Low end but I am still looking and wherever I buy one from I will make sure they have a liberal return policy. If the images are poor, back goes the scope! I already have a good, sturdy tripod. Most of those spotting scopes come with a small tripod for laying down or tabletop use.

"... spotting scopes come with a small tripod for laying down or tabletop use."

Totally inadequate for photography. I think you are on a fool's errand but I am curious on how you do. So, please get back and report.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, I tend to agree and I am not looking to spend thousands on a scope so I will try a less expensive one and see what results I get. I will let you know!

"... have you considered using a spotting scope as a lens?

Not sure if he is but I am, I'd like to hear more on this option."

I will bet the results will be poor at best. Unless you get a reasonably high quality spotting scope, merely looking through one isn't that great.  I have tried some of the less expensive ones, $200 to $300 dollar range and they were pretty sorry for just bird watching. No camera at all.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...about 100 or more yards away..."

That is way, way too far away.  It is too far away for even a 600mm lens. Unless you are shooting a pterodactyl. Smiley Happy

I agree with ebiggs1...I don't even bother if it's more than 15 yards away... While true for all photography, it's especially true for BIF : closer is better.  Here is a shot I took a couple of years ago.  This was less than 10 yards taken with a 600mm f/4L + 1.4X on a 7DII (that's 600mm x 1.4 x 1.6 = 1344mm equivalent) and the image did not even fill the full frame.  

@Canon 7DII, 600mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4X II @ FL840 (1344); f/5.6; 1/1600; ISO 800

24654534336_b022c78f23_h.jpg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"Av would be no good because the speed would invariably be wrong"

I beg to differ with this assumption.  With Av you will get the fastest SS that the camera can deliver with proper exposure. What good is a fast SS if the lens can not deliver the light? Of course all camera/lens combos have their limit and either way you will eventually run up against it. However, in this case Av is more likely to get a usable shot. Using Tv you have four or five or so apertures available. WIth Av you probably have six or seven usable SS.

EB
Announcements