cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use my Old Lenses?

Steve-CC
Apprentice

I have two AF lenses that I bought for a EOS Rebel 2000 35mm film camera.  They are a:

Quantaray 28-80mm F 3.5-5.6 and a

Sigma 28-300mm F3.5 - 6.3 DL Hyperzoom. 

Both Canon AF Mount.

I am wondering if it makes any sense to buy a new or used digital camera to use these lenses.

Should I do it or just dump them and start fresh?

Lay it on me.

Steve

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Technically an “EOS” body is an “EOS” body.   Lenses that are designed to work on a Canon full-frame EOS body (film or digital) will work on any EOS film or digital body ... including APS-C bodies.   But this is only true of actual Canon brand lenses.

If they are made by a third party ... they MIGHT work.  Canon doesn’t publish the interface specifications... third party lens makers always reverse-engineer the interface and test to make sure they work with camera bodies available “at the time” when those lenses were originally made.  If many years have passed... new cameras may not work with them.  SOME third parties will let you send the lenses in to be updated (re-chipped to make them current).

Modern lenses have advanced quite a bit... so if they don’t work, I would probably not try to update them... I’d replace them with something more current.

If you do decide to update the lenses... feel free to post back and mention what sorts of subjects you enjoy shooting (since no lens is best at every subject) and I’m sure the community would be happy to offer suggestions.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am wondering if it makes any sense to buy a new ..."

It does!  Huge zoom range lenses are typically the worse performing lenses made by anybody.  You have a couple of the worst of them. Even if they work and I am not sure they will, you can do better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi All

The two answers I got seem to be saying that my lenses are worthless and that I should start over, not try to use them on a digital body. 

I am not a very demanding photographer and the answers seemed to be from very demanding photographers, I cannot help but continue to wonder if I might be able to buy an older, cheaper digital body for a low enough price to save these lenses from going into the landfill.

Any thoughts on this?

@Steve-CC wrote:

Hi All

The two answers I got seem to be saying that my lenses are worthless and that I should start over, not try to use them on a digital body. 

I am not a very demanding photographer and the answers seemed to be from very demanding photographers, I cannot help but continue to wonder if I might be able to buy an older, cheaper digital body for a low enough price to save these lenses from going into the landfill.

Any thoughts on this?

I do not advise a 40D or XTi.  Look at the comment from Vicki.

http://www.photographyreview.com/product/lenses/35mm-zoom/sigma/28-300mm-f3-5-6-3-dl-aspherical-if.h...

Not sure if that is the same lens as yours, though, but close enough in my book.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements