cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the FIRMWARE for the EOS Rebel T3i.

ZCECILIA
Contributor

Trying to upgrade the FIRMWARE of my EOS Rebel T3i, and  find it extremely complicated.  My apple computer with the OS X Lion operating system tells me it is not compatible with the Firmware and will not download the upgrade.  HELP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You are right… in the final analysis, it was not necessary. However, I had to buy a separate Card Reader at Best Buy, and that's when the process became sooooo easy, it was ridiculous. The Tech Support at Canon took me thru all kinds of maneuvers and none worked. He did say to get the Card Reader, which I did, and then all fell in place in seconds!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pjmacd
Enthusiast
I don't know why this isn't working. OSX Lion is version 10.6 and SHOULD be compatible with the firmware upgrade. If you have a friend or colleague with a PC, you could try downloading the firmware onto that computer. Once it's downloaded, just copy it to the root directory of an SD card that you formatted IN THE CAMERA, and the procedure from that point is the same whether you used a Mac or PC for downloading.

Thanks!  I am going to try again on my iMAC.   If it doesn't work, then I will try on my friend's PC.   I'm frustrated.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH-  I had difficulty in doing the upgrade BECAUSE the Canon EOS Utiity was the older version.  A Tech Support at Canon helped me upgrade this EOS Utility and then sure enough, my iMAC OSX Lion was able to communicate with the Card Reader -and the Formatted Card- and my Firmware is now updated to the current CCF1102.FIR.   I still had to download the EOS 600D / Rebel T3i Firmware Update Procedures, from the Canon webesite, plus the new upgrade, but once I had those two items on my computer, I xferred them to the Card in the Card Reader, then installed the upgraded Card in the camera, and the upgrade proceeded fine.   THANKS, everyone.

I'm glad things worked out well. I never use the EOS utility when upgrading firmware.

You are right… in the final analysis, it was not necessary. However, I had to buy a separate Card Reader at Best Buy, and that's when the process became sooooo easy, it was ridiculous. The Tech Support at Canon took me thru all kinds of maneuvers and none worked. He did say to get the Card Reader, which I did, and then all fell in place in seconds!
Announcements