cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a t6 Pt 2

rpfannkuch
Contributor

I had another thread asking what should I upgrade from my T6 with, a 77D or T7I, they are options, I have around 760 as a tax return and I'm young, I'm still in high school, my mom wants to do some stuff with my car oil changes, etc which i'm a huge car guy, I'm also an automotive photographer, I've been looking at the 5DMKII, it isn't obviously hugely feature heavy, but I would think its a huge difference over my t6. My t6 has been holding me back for about a year now, I've had it a total of two years, The quality isn't where I want it.

My question is, is the 5D MKII a good choice? I shoot mostly portraits and automotive photos, along with rolling photos.

Here are some of my photo examples, The basketball photos were taken with a 6D MKII that I borrowed from my military school. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LsWcXtUNPh7ck3DZbD0sqil1b-72XRoZ?usp=sharing

23 REPLIES 23

One more thing. Since we seem to be car guys (or gals) my screen name is from a license plate for my long ago sold 69 Camaro. When I started my business in 86 I mainly restored Camaros & one I bought as a parts car turned out to be the remains of a COPO Camaro so I semi restared it before learning it was the real thing. Once I learned what it was & had official documentation from GM I ordered a personal plate for it. We were only allowed 2 numerals then & the 0 or letter O were considered numerals so I ordered CI for "cast iron"  COPO which separated it from the ultra rare aluminum block ZL 1 versions.

Larry

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Very cool story about your screen name Larry! 

The internet has made it far simpler for small companies to market products and it gave birth to the "self-publishing" movement which has seen quite a bit of success.  I would have expected that book to sell very well at the NCM but maybe it didn't have as many visitors back at that time.

One of my uncles owned a Chevrolet dealership back when even very small towns had a car dealership and he took me for a drive in a Corvette back in 1968 when we were visiting for a family reunion.  My father had a Nash/Hudson dealership prior to WWII as a very young man and another relative had the Ford franchise in the village.  The joke was that no matter what you drove to a family reunion you were going to anger some of the relatives.  My father remained loyal to the brand he once sold and we took a lot of vacations in a series of Rambler station wagons and I took my first driving test in an AMC Ambassador wagon.  The first non-AMC he bought was an International Harvester Travelall however that year there was a big strike at Harvester works and they reserved the production of the largest member of their small V8 family (a 392 CID) for their medium duty trucks and his Travelall came with an AMC  produced V-401 after they made a deal with AMC.  Fate, I guess.

I was almost ready to get the Z06 out since a rain washed the salt off of the roads but now 3 to 5 inches of snow is forecast starting tomorrow so it will be the tractor and not the Corvette that comes out to play this week.  A friend piqued my interest in astrophotography so I decided to use some of the B&H bonus cash I have built up as partial payment for a Celestron telescope.  It arrives just in time for several days of snow 😞  I will have plenty of time to read the instruction manual before I can use it...

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I know about those Ramblers too. My father was a Rambler man & a station wagon at that. I learned to drive using it plus an Austin A 90 with a 4 on the column shifter. As for snow it's scheduled here too, starting tomorrow night thru Thursday. I've built my own secret weapon to handle it.  The cab is heated & the snowblower has it's own 10 HP motor. Still in testing but working well. IMG_20200119_122131.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

VERY Nice setup Larry and a heated cab would be very nice!

The pictures below are from a snowstorm 9 years ago this month and some of the drifts were 7 feet tall.  It was fun for a few days but the storm was followed by a long cold spell.  I grew tired of the aftermath of that storm long before my daughter did.

Tomorrow won't be so bad and Spring isn't that far off 🙂

Rodger

NZ1W9268.JPG

NZ1W9340.JPG

NZ1W9350.JPG

NZ1W9396.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

You look like you had the equipment needed for that storm. I live on a ridge between farm land to the west that's wide open & that's where the prevailing wind comes from most of the time. to the east it's been forest & then a small open area & then my storage building & finally a tree line so not much drifting around the driveway when it's an east wind. Big drifts are relatively common here & between them & the severe cold we can get and the need to stop wrestling with my walk behind snowblower (which has had a toll on my right shoulder) that inspired the building of my cab. Once started I realized I had some used VW gas heaters that were part of a batch purchase of VW stuff I bought. I was able to learn how they worked & decided to convert one to propane (for a number of reasons) & it works great converted. The exhaust from it exits out through the roof of the cab & the heated air gets blown across the windshield. It doesn't need to run very long before I have to turn it off. 

7D2_4009.JPG

I think we either stumbled into the Motortrend forum or the snowblower forum or perhaps the Twilight Zone!  Smiley SurprisedSmiley LOL

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm planning on going to college, I currently goto Missouri Military Academy and upon graduation, i'm headed to Rolla to become a mechanical engineer while doing photography on the side.

Well, I do change my oil regularly, every time I need to, my oil is at around 50% used so I normally change it early, so when im home next ill be changing it, I always put my car first before anything, I have enough for a new camera and an oil change,

I never skimp out with my car, I always make sure its running. I work on it myself and do a auto mechanic class down at my school. All my oil is up to date and i'm changing it when im home as my car just sits till im home from military school.

I am in total agreement with Rick

"Think twice about the 5D2.  Its already out of support and Canon willl not repair."

Again any camera you have is better than one you don't have. But keep in mind newer tech trumps all most of the time.

Photos are made by the lens.  If your T6 isn't giving you what you want it could be the glass. A 90D or evee an 80D would be good choices if you still think you need to upgrade the camera. You can sell your T6 for a few bucks to help the purchase since it is still reasonably new.

What  lenses do you have exactly?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements