cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from XTi

nanfischer
Contributor

Hi there. I bought a used XTi a couple years ago. It was one of the first ones, and it's wonderful. I love it, but it does not have video. I'd like to upgrade to get video. The Rebel is fine for me. I don't need anything more elaborate or bigger. 

I just read that the T3i has been discontinued. The T5i is the next step up from that. What I like about the T3i is the swinging LED screen. I had that on my Powershot, and I miss it! 

Is it worth it to get a T3i, or are they going to replace it with something else? Does any other DSLR have the articulated LED screen? That's the selling point for me! 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Rebel T3i is still in stock at B&H <----click here  for $499 including s&h.  Two things to remember, one, it is an older design and will be replaced soon and two, Rebels are not video cameras.  They are DSLR's that shoot video but their prime motive is stills.

Make sure you understand the video limitations with it before you buy.  And most importantly don't buy from sources that aren't truthful.  I am am sure the Amazon guy will be right sometime but not right now.

Also, there may be a rebate associated with the purchase so check that out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The T3i and T5i both show as current on the US website. T5i has same screen as T3i except T5i is also touchscreen.

Most probably both will be replaced sometime in 2015 by T6i (based on past history; I have no inside knowledge).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Right, the annual upgrade. 😉 Thanks for the info! A seller on Amazon said it was discontinued. Glad to hear it isn't. I think it suits my needs best. Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Rebel T3i is still in stock at B&H <----click here  for $499 including s&h.  Two things to remember, one, it is an older design and will be replaced soon and two, Rebels are not video cameras.  They are DSLR's that shoot video but their prime motive is stills.

Make sure you understand the video limitations with it before you buy.  And most importantly don't buy from sources that aren't truthful.  I am am sure the Amazon guy will be right sometime but not right now.

Also, there may be a rebate associated with the purchase so check that out.

EB

Thank you! I had video capability on my Powershot, and it was fun to capture the dogs playing or other random events. I'm not into making movies, but with the XTi, I have to get my phone out for vids. It gets cumbersome. 

That's my concern - the T3i will be replaced soon. 

Then again, it's in my price range. lol Why isn't this stuff easy!? lol 

Thanks for the link!

"That's my concern - the T3i will be replaced soon."

It still will provide all it can.  The exeption is it will not have the newer features that it's replacement will.  If you are OK with it as is, it will work for you for years and years.  Smiley Happy

EB

Thanks. It seems to have all I need. I'm a serious hobbyist? Advanced amateur? Not sure what you call it, but I'm not a pro, and just want something to play with. I take pictures for my business, too, but nothing to make magazine covers. lol

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Go here. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-t5i-18-55m...

Canon has a Loyalty Program. You can trade in your old camera and get discount on new refurb. Call them.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Oh cool! Thanks for the link!!

nanfischer
Contributor

Thanks, everyone! I got a T3i with 2 lenses from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/914091-REG/canon_digital_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is.html

Thanks for all the great info here! I really appreciate it! 🙂

Announcements