cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from T2i - Body or Lens or both

Sha0303
Contributor
I’m looking at upgrading from my T2i. I have the kit lens and a Tamron zoom lens.
On a previous post of mine someone mentioned the Canon 80D. I would like to get a good lens for taking indoor photos.
So questions:
What body would you upgrade to and are there any good deals now?
Can I use my Tamron lens that I use on my T2i on the 80D?
And What lens is best for indoor low light shooting?
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sha0303 wrote:
I’m looking at upgrading from my T2i. I have the kit lens and a Tamron zoom lens.
On a previous post of mine someone mentioned the Canon 80D. I would like to get a good lens for taking indoor photos.
So questions:
Thanks.

You should be able to use most older Tamron lens on the 80D.  It is “Black Friday” weekend.  It is hard to find better deals than what is being offered now.  The outlets can run out of stock fairly quickly.

If you wish to shoot indoors without a flash, in low light, then a wide aperture lens is what you need.  Wide aperture lenses tend to be costly, and for most indoor applications you want a wide angle lens, which cost even more.  

Otherwise, the EF-S 18-55mm STM lens that comes in many 80D kits works pretty well with the built-in flash.  Be aware that the because of its’ small size, the built-in flash does not have much effective reach, only about 10 feet, and it tends to be harsh light.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Sha0303 wrote:
So questions:
Thanks.

You should be able to use most older Tamron lens on the 80D.  It is “Black Friday” weekend.  It is hard to find better deals than what is being offered now.  The outlets can run out of stock fairly quickly.

If you wish to shoot indoors without a flash, in low light, then a wide aperture lens is what you need.  Wide aperture lenses tend to be costly, and for most indoor applications you want a wide angle lens, which cost even more.  

Otherwise, the EF-S 18-55mm STM lens that comes in many 80D kits works pretty well with the built-in flash.  Be aware that the because of its’ small size, the built-in flash does not have much effective reach, only about 10 feet, and it tends to be harsh light.

Black Friday sales can be good. End-of-year sales can be better. Just sayin'.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Sha0303 wrote:
So questions:
Thanks.

Black Friday sales can be good. End-of-year sales can be better. Just sayin'.

Unlike other types of consumer electronics, DSLR camera manufacturers do not introduce, or update, a new product line every year.  Most year end sales are to clear out the inventory of existing models to make room for the new.  Yeah, there are a few time periods throughout the year, when manufacturers find an excuse to offer discounts.  June graduation season is one.

Also, different electronic products tend to have bigger discounts around one “holiday sale” compared to others.  For example, if you are looking to buy a television, then my advice is to wait till after the Xmas sales.  Wait for the pre-Super bowl sales on televisions, which is when they tend to be the cheapest.

Again, there is no time like the present.  i say if it is a good buy, then buy it now, and do not wait for a better discount that might never come.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sha0303
Contributor
Thank you so much!

"Can I use my Tamron lens that I use on my T2i on the 80D?"

Not knowing any more than just what this question asks, I will say you can use that older Tammy on an 80D.

Now for the tricky part.  Some older third party lens have trouble with newer camera bodies.  They may work fine on an old Rebel but not a new Rebel for example.  So I still say most likely it will work but I would not be supposed if it didn't.  Might be a try before you buy if it is very important to you.  In fact any older lens, especially if you decide to buy a used lens, should be tried on the camera it is destined for.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements