cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade/repair/clean older XSi with Tamron 18-270mm lens

Satchmo
Contributor

Hey all,

We've got an older Rebel XSi, and the auto-focus went out on the box lens, so I purchased a Tamron 18-270mm as a recommendation to be able to have a general purpose single lens. The wife is saying the pictures are blurry, doesn't seem to focus, etc. The local shop is recommending to purchase a new camera obviously, but we just spent $500 on the new lens 3 years ago.

We don't have a budget for new setup. I could justify $200-300. That's about it. I'm wondering if the body should be sent in for cleaning? Can it be repaired? New (or new used) body? Sell and buy new body and lens?

What are your thoughts. I'm not confident that a new body is going to make the difference, which is what the wife wants. She mainly takes close in pics of the kids and family. Some action pics of kids doing activities and sports. She has taken some family pics for friends, and would like to eventually do this as a part time job/hobby.

Thanks,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority

CGoogle for a few short free video tutorials on the "exposure triangle".  I suspect your problem is a combination of 1.) bad setting choices, probably set by the camera in Auto mode, and 2.) equipment, both the lens and the camera, that do not deal well with dim light.  Outdoors in daylight your problems will more or less go away because there is plenty of light.  Shooting indoors you need to understand exposure and take control of your settings instead of trusting auto mode.  You may still run up against limitations from the equipment but you can at least know what the problem is. 

Faced with dim light and left in Auto mode, the camera tries to compensate for lack of light by slowing down the shutter, opening up the lens as far as the lens can go, and cranking up the sensor's signal gain.  Unfortunately a slow shutter makes blurry photos due to subject motion and the shaking of the photographer's hands.  Also unfortunate is that a consumer zoom lens covering a huge range like that one will not have a very large opening (aperture) for letting in light.  The third strike occurs when the camera has no choice but to raise the sensor's sensitivity (ISO) to make an image with less light, because the side effect of high ISO settings are grainy, "noisy" photos with loss of fine detail. 

I think I would look into a brighter lens. For just about $110.00 you could get a 50mm f/1.8 that would let about 8x more light in as your zoom lens.  For about $700.00 you can get a better lens, the EFs 17-55 f/2.8. It is sharper and is also very bright. Used you could find one for $500.00. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

The problems popped up when we got the Tamron lens. Compatability and size may be a factor. The lens gets great reviews, I did not research on that. Most issues are indoors.

I think some photography classes and possibly a smaller zoom lens would make sense before a large investment in equipment. A better understanding of how the SLR works would aid in making a better choice on equipment.

Wish I would have not tried to get the "all in one" lens now.

Thanks!

Satchmo wrote:
The problems popped up when we got the Tamron lens. Compatability and size may be a factor. The lens gets great reviews, I did not research on that. Most issues are indoors.

I think some photography classes and possibly a smaller zoom lens would make sense before a large investment in equipment. A better understanding of how the SLR works would aid in making a better choice on equipment.

Wish I would have not tried to get the "all in one" lens now.

Thanks!

I feel your pain. That (Tamron) lens is the only DSLR lens I ever saw advertised in a Boston subway train. That observation was all it took to ensure that I would never even consider buying it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

My Canon EF-S 18-135 is a pretty good all around lens. About half the reach as the Tamron, but much more walk-aroundable.

@kvbarkley wrote:

My Canon EF-S 18-135 is a pretty good all around lens. About half the reach as the Tamron, but much more walk-aroundable.

I had the STM version, and it was a great lens.  Passed it on to my son, and he loves it, too.  It is his walk around lens.    

But, he used my EF-S 10-22mm in an urban setting, and he liked that even more.  I would compare the IQ to my EF 16-35mm lens.  The two lenses even use the same hood.   He discovered ultra-wide angle lenses capture a WHOLE LOT.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"She has taken some family pics for friends, and would like to eventually do this as a part time job/hobby."

If she is truly serious about this, you guys really need to look at better cameras then the Rebel line.  Something in the xxD series will serve her much better. And, understandably better lenses then the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens.

This just may be the opportunity!  Smiley Happy  The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is an outstanding choice in that case.  It is not in any way an "L" lens, however.  There are no EF-S lenses that are in the "L" class.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Alucard13
Contributor

Just a quick suggestion, the other lenes autofocus stopped working so you got the Tamron 18-270, I have both items and they work well except in low light then you need a flash, but what you might want to try is taking the lens to a camera shop and trying it on another camera to make sure it is not the lens. If it is not the lens then you may consider upgrading to the Cannon T7 or T7i when it is on sale. I agree with the others who suggested not to put more money into Xsi. I saw a lot of the suggestions and they seem to suggest getting an 18-55 type lens which will bring in more light but if you want a single all around lens then the 18-270 is a good choice.  I use it when on vacations so i can get wide shots of landscape and then zoom in on a bird etc.  

Announcements