cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Jack Not Standard Causing Intermittent Connection

kevinspage
Contributor

I am using a camera I purchased off ebay for astro photography.

I have an 8" nutonian reflector on  a motorized equitorial mount.

I have purchased a cat6 usb 2.0 extention system to connect the cameras Digital output to home PC some 100ft away.

In testing the camera system with a PC and Eos Utility I have encountered a mechanicallyy intermittent connection.

Connection to PC and Eos Utility drops because connection is lost at the cameras USB jack.

On Inspection the thickness of the center contact is less than standard.

Also the outer jack shell is larger.

This creates loosness allowing the USB cable pins to loose physical connection with the contacts in the cameras jack.

A slight touch is all that is necessary for the connection to drop.

I have read many posts about USB connection issues that I feel are due to this improper jack.

Does canon or anyone else sell a cable that will accuratly fit this jack?

Does the original cannon cable have a bump on the botton to fit the buldge obove the I in digital below?

Thanks!

~Kevin.

EOS USB Jack.png

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

That is correct. The jack is non standard to allow for the Canon A/V cable:

Video.jpg

and I have *never* had a standard USB cable come loose, though YMMV. I suggest you get a longer USB cable and create a strain relief pigtail, possibly taping it to the side of the camera.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

...  And I would like to know more about the extension system you purchased to make USB run over a 100ft. ethernet connection.  USB is designed for about 12ft reliably.  I've seen 30ft.  I know greater distance is possible.  Is the extender a USB over POE?

Please by all means share.  Smiley Happy

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick!

There are a variety of devices that extend USB even one that does 3.0 but its pricey. They also make HDMI/USB extenders but most of the time they only support a mouse and keyboard but some will support webcams. I was looking at HDMI and USB util I learned all the limitation. The HDMI out of the camera is not for high quality recording, it’s for composition. My plan was to run the HDMI to the 70” flat panel and the USB to the PC so others could watch. Now I have added the 70” as a third monitor to my PC and plan on just using USB from the Eos camera to the PC.

I’ve purchased the system below off Amazon as well as a 1000ft spool of cat6 cable that I will cut to length and terminate.

WEme USB 2.0 Extender to RJ45 Over Cat5/ 5E/ 6 Connection up to 100 Meter/ 328 Ft Ethernet Extention Cable Type A Male to A Female With 5V/ 2A Power Adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHTCH68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kevinspage
Contributor

I retrieved a highter quality USB cable from a Panasonic HVX200a kit that has an integrated ferrite choke and fits better. It does not  lose connection. I saw a photo of an AV cable for composite video that has a bump to fit the Canon jack. The bump keeps it from being inserted into a USB port that does not support analog composite video and audio out.

The male portion of the mini USB cables Canon supplies do not have the bump. So the Jack on the camera is not standard, but is compatible with USB. I was thinking Canon was charging extra for a special USB cable.... but this is not the case.

kevinspage
Contributor
Monoprice 3-Feet USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable with Ferrite Core (Gold Plated) (105447)
Announcements