cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Flash OFF in Other Modes - T4i

OrganicStarship
Apprentice

So I am essentially brand new in the world of photography and I am having an issue with my EOS Rebel T4i, and I am certain it is user error. The flash always pops up when I am in different modes.

I know that when it is in Auto Mode that the camera determines when the flash is needed, but I thought that was only for Auto Mode. Is the camera programmed to do the same thing when I am in other modes such as Protrait, Close Up, Sports, etc.?? The flash pops up EVERY TIME I try to take a photo in those modes, and I thought I could disable it, but I can't figure out how.

No Flash Mode seems to be the only way to keep the flash from popping up... I feel like I am doing something wrong... should i be in the other modes such as P, Tv, Av, M? I haven't touched those modes yet as I want to get a little more comfortable with the camera before I fiddle around with those settings. Anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority
I recommend that you'd use Av mode and/or Tv mode. They are essentially still automatic mode (semi-auto, at least). In these two modes, the flash won't pop up unless you tell it to.

I tell my students in a local photography club that they are only allowed to use either M, Av or Tv and nobody ever has a real problem with these. I don't recommend using P because the settings there, for beginners, can be more complicated than using Av or Tv.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The only auto mode that will not pop up the flash is the - wait for it - No Flash Mode. It works the same as full auto but keeps the flash down.

I use P, which will only use flash on command.

You might also try setting the custom function that controls the AF-Assist beam (on my T6S it is CFn-4). I set it to 3 : IR assist only so that I don't get the disco flash.

Okay, I see. I was afraid you were going to say No Flash Mode. So, it sounds like automatic scene modes aren't necessarily the best approach in taking photos... at least if you want more control over aspects of the camera. 

Thank you for the info! Guess it's time to mess around with the settings.

E642AFE1-3832-40B0-86E9-9A974A3931E0.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

diverhank
Authority
I recommend that you'd use Av mode and/or Tv mode. They are essentially still automatic mode (semi-auto, at least). In these two modes, the flash won't pop up unless you tell it to.

I tell my students in a local photography club that they are only allowed to use either M, Av or Tv and nobody ever has a real problem with these. I don't recommend using P because the settings there, for beginners, can be more complicated than using Av or Tv.

Thank you very much for this information! I will look into those modes. I want to be able to have more control over how it takes photos, but not go over board since I am just starting out. I'll be sure to try this out!

Why do you consider P more complicated?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Why do you consider P more complicated?

From an instructor's standpoint where I want to encourage beginners students to have control of the camera...when you use P mode and you want to affect the Av and Tv, you have to press and hold the shutter button, turn the dial to affect a combination of Av and Tv.  If a person can do this, then he/she might as well use the  Tv or Av mode or even the M mode.  P mode control is often specific to a camera brand and even a camera model and imho, a photographer should not be limited to being able to operate a specific brand or model.  

I see, it is complicated because you cannot tell what is going on behind the curtain!

Announcements