cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips On Selling My EOS REBEL XS

jonahpearcy
Contributor

New to the forum so I apologize if I'm in the wrong section.

I'm looking to slighlty upgrade from my current camera, a Rebel XS. I have a Bower Fisheye Macro lens attactment with the kit EFS 18-55mm lens, one battery, charger, and an 8gig SD card. How much should/could I sell this for? Also, I will be getting a $300-350 tax return in a week or so. What do you guys recommend I get to replace it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

I have no idea how you’d go about selling the XS.  You have to accept that it is a very old camera in a market that moves very quickly.  It’s just not worth that much.  I don’t know, maybe you could find someone who wants it for $100 or so? 

Given your budget I’d maybe look at getting a refurbished T3i from the Canon website ($399), or if you find a reputable private seller you could get a T5i.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

I have no idea how you’d go about selling the XS.  You have to accept that it is a very old camera in a market that moves very quickly.  It’s just not worth that much.  I don’t know, maybe you could find someone who wants it for $100 or so? 

Given your budget I’d maybe look at getting a refurbished T3i from the Canon website ($399), or if you find a reputable private seller you could get a T5i.

That dissapointing to hear as I bought this camera 3 months ago for $250. Based on the research that I've done, the two camera's I was liking were the T3i and T3. Is there really a big enough difference between the two to pay the extra $100-$150?

Well, if you just bought it 3 months ago for $250, perhaps you can find someone else willing to pay around that much.  Personally, I think that is way too much relative to what you can get for just a little more.

Yes, there is a big difference between the T3 and the T3i.  I would encourage the T3i, well worth $100 more, and if you can't afford that then look at a used T2i. 

Keep an eye on refurbished deals from the Canon website.  Everything they sell has been inspected to specification and comes with a warranty.  You should be able to pick up an old Rebel (T2i/T3i) somewhere in the $350 range.

Alright I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the help.

$250 was a bit high but not greatly out of reason.  Remember you don't need to sell or buy anything but the body.

Another point, the T3 and T3i are also older models and will soon not be availible as the the T5 and T5i take over.

So you are on the end of another cameras life cycle.  Smiley Indifferent

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Grrrr. I hate being a broke college student! Perhaps I should keep the XS and just spend the money on a better lens or two? I'm trying to get into the automotive photography field.

The T3/T3i is going to be very little better than your XS.  You are also going to find it difficult to find a "better" lens, let alone lenses for $300-$350 bucks.  Sorry!

You could just learn to use what you have to it's fullest.

You can find special white box or someone that wants to sell a brand new EF 24-105mm f4 L IS for $700 (normally a $1150 dollar lens).  If you can muster up that much, it would be my choice.  Especially instead of buying a T3/T3i camera body.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements