cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timer VS Bulb Mode

pcacj
Apprentice

With a Canon Rebel XTi, can you disable the timer while in bulb mode?  I am not seeing this in the instruction manual.  Seems rather limiting if I am in bulb mode and press the cable release and have to wait 10 seconds before the camera fires.  Any help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Smiley Frustrated?  I am confused?

Just don't turn the timer on!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So far, the only way I know to get into bulb mode is also the timer activation.  I have tried to figure this out and I too am confused.  it doesn't make sense.  I am sure i am doing something wrong but just have not figured it out yet.

How are you trying to do it?
EB

I put the camera in Manual Mode and dial down the shutter speed until BULB shows up.  Also, in the MENU screen I choose BULB/Timer.  I will try undoing the MENU option for BULB mode and see if that will fix this.  Thank you for prompting my brain to kick into a higher gear.

Yeah, stay out of the menu.

EB

@pcacj wrote:

I put the camera in Manual Mode and dial down the shutter speed until BULB shows up.  Also, in the MENU screen I choose BULB/Timer.  I will try undoing the MENU option for BULB mode and see if that will fix this.  Thank you for prompting my brain to kick into a higher gear.

Just use BULB for cable release.  The other option is for using a wireless remote.  If you don't have one then it will have a 10-second delay.

I use my wireless remote all the time and frequently forget to turn it off when done.  I've missed shots because I grab my camera for some quick shot and get the 10 second delay. 

ScottyP
Authority
Yeah. You don't want to be in the menus. Just roll the dial all the way past the slowest shutter speed, and the last setting will be B (Bulb). I always use the cable release in Bulb, as I suppose everyone else does too.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements