Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Time exposures at Night?

Hi,

I just purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T3 1100 D Camera and I would like to know if I can take time exposures.

I'm an Astronomer and I will be trying to take exposures of the sky at night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed Murray

Product Expert
Product Expert

Re: Time exposures at Night?

eddiestardust,

You would be able to use the EOS Rebel T3 to take night time exposures.  You simply set it up on a tripod, lock it in place and use the BULB setting while the camera is in Manual. 

This [the Bulb setting] will let you hold the shutter open as long as you wish.  To avoid camera shake you may want to use a remote to trigger the shutter, such as  RS-60E3.  If you are using an Image Stabilized lens, be sure to deactivate the IS function.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

The idea of a tripod is essential; About the expousure, you need to decide between expousure and the aperture of the diaphragm and make a kind of "perfect mix", in this way you could capture all the light... I think the only way to know it is to try a few times.

Occasional Contributor

The Two Hosers Photo Show just did a podcast on photographing star trails.  You might find it useful...

http://twohosers.com/the-two-hosers-photo-show-107-star-trails/