cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on an EOS Rebel T7 for a beginner?

barkietrin7
Apprentice

I’ve been interested in photography for a while now but have never owned a “nice” camera before. I’ve been doing some browsing the past few months after being a second shooter for a friend at an event. I’ve been having trouble figuring out whether the T7 is a good fit.

I’ve been looking at the EOS M50 as well since I’ve probably seen the most people recommend this one as a great beginner camera. When I stopped by my local camera shop they told me there was a month long promo for the T7 and also recommended it as a great beginner camera.

I looked at a few sites that did side by side comparisons of both models, but I would still love feedback from individuals as well.

Any thoughts, good or bad, about either model would be greatly appreciated!

16 REPLIES 16

"Don't waste the money on the 18-55 kit lens (it's a dumpster fire at best).."

This is pure nonsense. At the price point of the kit, it makes no sense to not get it.  It is a good all around general purpose lens that does what its intended market wants and does it very well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You make interesting posts.  I don't think your RF lenses will work on a T7.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/RF-Lens-build-quality/m-p/321538 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" I don't think your RF lenses will work on a T7."

The OP has R lenses?

EB

Read the discussion wadizzle linked to.

Given this discussion, it makes one wonder how deep into the Sony Ecosystem the OP was.

You guys have a better memory than I do!  Perhaps the OP is just a "lonely guy". Smiley Happy

EB

The Rebel T7 is a good "beginner" camera but never forget it is a beginner camera.  If you get the bug, you will certainly want a better camera.  Possibly very soon after getting it.  If not the T7 should dl all you want.

IMHO, I would never buy any "M" series cameras like the M50 so I never recommend anyone else do either. I still believe it is a dead end line.  However, the current Rebel line is also a dead end.  The big difference is, the Rebel line has so much gear and lenses and history out there it will be viable for a good long time yet.

EB

wheeble
Apprentice

I use a refurbished T7 often while out birding, It does a fantastic job for the price.  I paid $248 for the camera, and 18-55mm and the 75-300mm.  If there is a better entry level SLR for the money, I have not found it.  Keep an eye on canonpricewatch.com for the official sales at canon.

Announcements