cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Canon EOS Rebel T6

owlietenil2
Apprentice

Hello guys, I'm looking into buying my first profesional camera and I found this one. I don't have a big budget so I think it might be a good option. Have you used it? Is it good for beginner's photography? I would really appreciate any comment. I'll leave the link to it below. Either way, thank you for your feedback and have a nice day!

15 REPLIES 15

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is not my line, but absolutely true.  "Any camera is better than no camera".  (ebiggs1)

That said.  The T6 is a entry level DSLR.

If you are on a tight budget, take a look at Canon's refurb store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras#face...

I have purchased several products from them, always perfect.  Same warranty as new too.

The T6 doesn't have a touch screen, and like other cameras in this range only 9AF points.  

The T6s steps up to 19 AF points.  My preference would be a T7i or T8i, but these are considerably more money.  If I had smaller hands, an SL3.  All of the cameras in this range are comperably equipped.  Lenses make a big difference, so be sure you have bugeted for them as well.  We can help level it down when you get closer.  Beginner photography - they've got you covered.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Vince69
Contributor

I have a similar question. I shoot film and I'm not a beginner but would like to supplement with a Dlsr and have no interest in videos. I do have the power shot sx50s but viewfinder not very usable. I see a  canon returbished deal with 18-55 and 75-300 lenses for $320 and it's tempting. Not giving up on my FTBN or AE1 Program or my Maxxum 8000i   But would like to known if the returbished deal is worth while  for general shooting mainly landscapes portrait or still life. Have a Canon photo printer so my digital photos will be printed by me up to 13-19

"... like to known if the returbished deal is worth while  for general shooting mainly landscapes portrait or still life."

It is not only a good thing it is a great deal.  It has the same warranty as a new one.  It wil do this and more.

"Have a Canon photo printer so my digital photos will be printed by me up to 13-19"

So do I, as a matter of fact I have three Canon Pro-100.  I do some prints up to 13x19 but not often. 8x10 and 8x12 are the most common sizes. 11x14's are nice too.  You might see a slightly better resolution from the T8i's 24MP sensor over the T6 18MP sensor at 13x19 especially of you do some cropping.  However, my main most cameras are only 16MP and 18MP and the output is fantastic on the Pro-100.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Not giving up on my FTBN or AE1 Program or my Maxxum 8000i"

Hmm, I have heard that before.  Matter of fact that was me!   Once you go DSLR, it is hard to go back to the good ole days of film. I still have my "best friend" Canon F1n.  I still have all my film cameras.  I still have a few cases of 35mm film. 

Gosh and its probably only 20+ years old now. Smiley Surprised

EB

I know what you mean but I also have a darkroom for BW film, never tried color negs and not starting now lol! I agree , with the DLDR n a printer it's definitely going to change my color shooting. The deal sounded so good and with the warranty you cant lose. I bought the power shot as canon refurbished and it still looks like new. I do have to say with all of my cameras I get the most compliments with photos from the FTBN and Niikormat FT3. Fully manual really makes you think n I am glad the T6 has a manual mode 

Hey I was right there with you. Until a few years ago had a full color darkroom. Beseler 23C, Beseler color analyser, drums, motors, frames all the stuff. All gone now, its a nice useful storage room!  Gone are the formally stop bath satined black walls with a nice Robin egg shell blue paint.

All giving way to Photoshop and the Pro-100. Smiley Happy

EB

I'm with ebiggs1 in regards to "making a purchase count".  I started with a T4i with 18-135 EF-S kit lens.  Definitely got me started, but I soon (as in just a year), outgrew the limitations.  I personally loved the 50mm f/1.2 and fullframe combo, so moved to a 6D (1st gen) with that lens.  That kept me going for a few more years.  But ultimately settled on the 5D IV and now have a second lens to pair with the 50.

If I could go back in time, I'd still start with the T4i (Rebel line) as the 5D IV would be way too much power for a novice (others may disagree; just speaking for me personally here).   But I'd totally skip the 6D an just save my money for the ultimate target (the 5D line).   Definitely wasted money getting three cameras over the years.

Having said that, a very useful exercise to go through is just what types of photos do you capture and what are your focal length needs?   While I originally had that 18-135, 90% of my images were very near the full-frame equivalent of 50mm.  So, I opted to throw my money at the best 50 I could get.    Whereas if you need more focal lengths, you'll either get a set of primes or a better zoom.    Not always, but one typically puts more cash towards lenses.  In my case, I was the opposite though; more budget went to the body.   Just depends on your needs.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Well I ordered on the 14th, website then and now says in stock but when I check my account itt  not only says back order but that it won't be a complete delivery. Bit of a bummer but guess I have to call tomorrow 

@Vince69 wrote:

Well I ordered on the 14th, website then and now says in stock but when I check my account itt  not only says back order but that it won't be a complete delivery. Bit of a bummer but guess I have to call tomorrow 

Partial shipment?  Where did you order it from?  The Rebel T6 cameras are a complete camera kit in a single box.  I would be inclined to cancel the order immediately.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements