cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Canon EOS Rebel T6

tinekastil2
Apprentice

Hello guys, I'm looking into buying my first profesional camera and I found this one. I don't have a big budget so I think it might be a good option. Have you used it? Is it good for beginner's photography? I would really appreciate any comment. I'll leave the link to it below. Either way, thank you for your feedback and have a nice day!

25 REPLIES 25

@Gabrial,

In addition to all of Waddizzle's great advice... 

The 80D is a better buy all the way around.  Not just because it costs more.  The 80D body is a better long term invesment and will give you plenty of room to grow as your skill and experience increases.

Don't be afraid to purchase refurb from Canon's online store.  Canon't refurb products come with the same 1 yr warranty as their new products.  A couple of my Canon lenses are refurbs...  All excellent, all perfect. 5 stars all the way. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First don't, never ever, buy a camera kit from Amazon or ebay. They generally include a bunch of junk that is nothing but junk and useless.  You want to buy just a camera and lens(s).  All Canon brand not any off brand stuff.  Bad idea for beginners.

The T6 kit from a good retailer is your best choice.  Yo probably have a local camera store or Best Buy? I know BB had a Rebel T6 kit for $400 bucks. The Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II and EF 75-300mm III lens.  This is about as good as it gets for a starter.  Also going local you can get hands on a big plus even if it is slightly more expensive than mail order.

Being a beginner you don't know what you want, yet.  Hopefully the bug will bite you and you will want to move up later. That kit includes a Canon 18-55mm lens and a Canon 75-300mm lens so that you can cover the full range with your new camera. The T6 has an 18-megapixel sensor, DIGIC 4+ image processing and full 1080p video recording.  That's all a newbie needs to start with that does not want to break the bank right off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

CornLips44
Apprentice
I bought the same set a little over a month ago and absolutely love it. The others are absolutely right I am sure and I certainly had no idea and still have no idea what I wanted or needed.
I invested in the "for dummies" book for the t6 and have used the limited amount of time I have to learn what I can.
I have a limited amount of time and money to put Into the hobby and am not pursuing a professional level of photography but very much enjoy learning about it so I feel this was a good beginner camera for someone like me. I could be wrong and I am sure there are better options out there but with that said I do not regret my purchase. I am very happy with it.
I should also add that you can still register a camera you purchase on amazon with canon and still get the factory warranty so that is not a concern. I know because I did.
Good luck.

@CornLips44 wrote:
I bought the same set a little over a month ago and absolutely love it. The others are absolutely right I am sure and I certainly had no idea and still have no idea what I wanted or needed.
I invested in the "for dummies" book for the t6 and have used the limited amount of time I have to learn what I can.
I have a limited amount of time and money to put Into the hobby and am not pursuing a professional level of photography but very much enjoy learning about it so I feel this was a good beginner camera for someone like me. I could be wrong and I am sure there are better options out there but with that said I do not regret my purchase. I am very happy with it.
I should also add that you can still register a camera you purchase on amazon with canon and still get the factory warranty so that is not a concern. I know because I did.
Good luck.
It depends on your definition of "purchase on Amazon". I believe that Amazon is a certified Canon reseller; so if your purchase is from Amazon, then yes, it should include a proper factory warranty. But Amazon serves also as a conduit for independent sellers, so not everything purchased on Amazon is from Amazon. The difference is not always obvious, and Canon equipment purchased merely on Amazon may well not have a factory warranty. Caveat emptor.
Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The difference is not always obvious, and Canon equipment purchased merely on Amazon may well not have a factory warranty."

Usually somewhere in the fine print on the ad, it will state there is no Canon USA warranty. May not be worded that way but similarly.   That is for certain, it is not a real Canon authorized retailer.

Never, never buy the kits or packages.  They are full of worthless junk.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

CornLips44
Apprentice
Great point! You are absolutely correct.
I tend to go out if my way to ensure I am purchasing from amazon or a partnered seller but if you do not know what you are looking for it can be hard to tell.
Announcements