cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Canon EOS Rebel T6

tinekastil2
Apprentice

Hello guys, I'm looking into buying my first profesional camera and I found this one. I don't have a big budget so I think it might be a good option. Have you used it? Is it good for beginner's photography? I would really appreciate any comment. I'll leave the link to it below. Either way, thank you for your feedback and have a nice day!

25 REPLIES 25

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon has the same package refurbished for a large savings. Same warranty as new.

Annotation 2019-08-23 085241.jpg

If you put the Rebel in Green Square Auto it is basically a point and shoot.

You will likely get comments about the lenses in the package. They are not Canon's best, but they are more than adequate for someone who is learning.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John_ and jrhoffman75 have both provided excellent advice.  I'm not expert BTW, just an enthusiast. 

T6 is a great camera.  I agree that its a good starting point for someone with little or no photography experience.  With time and some practice, you'll be amazed at the images you will capture.  I owned a T6s for a few years as well.

One thing we all agree on.  Don't buy your equipment from Amazon.  Buyt it from Canon, B&H, etc. 

The 2 lens package referenced is a great start and if you step up to another APS-C body in the future, you can still use the lenses that came with it. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"One thing we all agree on.  Don't buy your equipment from Amazon."

I do agree with this ... to a point.  It isn't just don't buy cameras from Amazon it is what cameras you buy from Amazon. The most important thing is to never, never ever buy any camera kit or accessory package from Amazon. They are junk.  Second, and I don't know, is Amazon an authorized Canon USA retailer?  If not never, ever buy any camera from a non-Canon USA retailer.  That goes for any source not just Amazon.  Maybe they are but find out first.  If so the two lens kit is a nice first camera.

My second problem with the lowest line of camera gear is, I know you claim to be a rank beginner but do you intend to remain so?  That is the question you need to ask yourself. If budget is a problem now as you state it is, buying gear twice or more times is a very much more strain on your budget. If you get the 'bug' you are at almost a 100% chance of wanting a better camera.  And that is even a bigger certainty with those lenses.

Canon has replaced the T6 with and almost identical camera the T7, BTW. It gets an updated and much better sensor but that's about all the difference.  Similar packages are available.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@shadowsports wrote:

John_ and jrhoffman75 have both provided excellent advice.  I'm not expert BTW, just an enthusiast. 

T6 is a great camera.  I agree that its a good starting point for someone with little or no photography experience.  With time and some practice, you'll be amazed at the images you will capture.  I owned a T6s for a few years as well.

One thing we all agree on.  Don't buy your equipment from Amazon.  Buyt it from Canon, B&H, etc. 

The 2 lens package referenced is a great start and if you step up to another APS-C body in the future, you can still use the lenses that came with it. 

The T6 is a good entry level camera, especially at the prices that I have seen lately.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-ef-s-18-55-with-ef-75-300mm-f-4-56-iii-refur...

But, the T7 is a better camera.  However, if you could swing this deal ....

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-80d-ef-s-18-55-ef-s-55-250-is-stm-bundle

You will have a camera that you will hold onto for years to come!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I didn't bring the T7 up since everytime I do this, or say consider (blank), its only $130 whatever more I immediately get shot down.  "Thats out of my price range, etc."

Both have a Digic4+ (Biggest difference) The T6 is a better low light camera because its larger pixels, but in the long run, as Ernie points out the T7's increased resolution allows bigger images and a greater degree of "cropability".  (I know, not a word), but you guys will know what I mean.  Since you would probably be taking more pictures in normal standard lighting the T7 wins.   

The fact that the T7 is 2 yrs newer is a big deal as well, since you also know I am not a fan of "older tech".

And my blanket statement about Amazon,,, yep I should have said "avoid the kits" as Ernie mentioned. 

So yes, if you can swing the T7, thats a better choice in the long run.  NiganKhan, this is for you to decide.  You can tell us what your budget is. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I did not buy my T6i kit from Amazon but I am curious as to why one should not? Does Canon manufacture its kirs differently for different distributors?

@John_ wrote:

I did not buy my T6i kit from Amazon but I am curious as to why one should not? Does Canon manufacture its kirs differently for different distributors?

Why say no to Amazon?  I think Ernie explained it very well in his first post.  

I think Amazon itself is an authorized Canon dealer.  But there are also a lot of their sellers that use Amazon, both good and bad, both authorized and unauthorized.  I would never buy anything more expensive than a novel from Amazon.  

I have friends and relatives who swear by Amazon Prime.  But, they are buying items that they are familiar with, from vendors who they are familiar with.  They are repeat buyers.  Buying big ticket electronics is a whole different world, especially when you are not familiar with either the electronics or the vendors.

I only buy online camera gear from Canon or B&H.  Like my Amazon loving relatives, I have had good experience with those vendors.  

" I am curious as to why one should not? Does Canon manufacture its kirs differently for different distributors?"

My biggest complaint is the packages that Amazon sells, or whomever they advertise for on the Amazon web site. All the ones I have seen are total junk.  Screw on lenses they call telephotos or WA lenses when they are not or useless filters.  Flimsy tripods, other useless stuff, etc. Questionable quality SD cards and possibly off brand batteries.

"Does Canon manufacture its kirs differently for different distributors?

No they don't.  Even the unauthorized cameras, grey market, are made exactly as the Canon USA cameras. The main most problem is if you need service or warranty or support. Canon USA is not obligated to do any of that. There may not be an English manual or instructions included. Repair if possible may be at an unauthorized shop or even overseas. It can take weeks or more.

When I was doing the DSLR 101 classes, I saw a lot of Amazon kit packages.  My best friends wife bought one. Smiley Sad

I asked her why when she had me at hand to ask what to buy?  She said she got everything from Amazon. People do!

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You will have a camera that you will hold onto for years to come!"

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-80d-ef-s-18-55-ef-s-55-250-is-stm-bundle

And that is why this is actually a cheaper best practice buy.  Yes it is a bigger outlay at first but will save you from re-buying when you decide to take your hobby further. If you are certain this is just a passing interest than go for the T6, or better choice T7 but keep in mind they are both basic beginner cameras. Folks that just want great photos for memories either of these will be a great choice.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can expect a Moderator to delete the Amazon link.  It is against forum policy to post links to something being sold.  They do allow exceptions, like links to Canon’s own online e*store web site.  

Buying big ticket items from Amazon is not something that I would recommend anyone should do.  There are too many unscrupulous sellers on Amazon, selling stuff WITHOUT a real warranty.  You do want a Canon authorized factory warranty, right?

[EDIT] https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/groups/gray-market

———————————————

The T6 is designed to be a basic entry level camera for someone with no previous experience with a DSLR.  It is also designed for someone who wants a DSLR camera, but only for occasional use.  Most burgeoning photo enthusiasts outgrow entry level cameras within a year or two, frequently within a matter of months.

This is a better deal than almost anything you would see on Amazon.  Do not be drawn into the deal with all of the junk accessories thrown in.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-ef-s-18-55-with-ef-75-300mm-f-4-56-iii-refur...

The Rebel T6 is not considered to be a professional grade camera.  Canon offers DSLR camera bodies that fall into one of three categories: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.  The T6 falls into the Beginner category, greeting you at the door as you enter the world of DSLR cameras.  All Rebel cameras are entry level cameras, but some are far more advanced than a T6.

If you really want to be a camera hobbyist, then spend a little more than the least expensive camera in the category.  Most hobbyists like the more advanced Rebel bodies like the T7i, which is almost in the Intermediate category with the 77D.

Here is the best value DSLR that Canon currently offers, the 80D.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

It is a REALLY good camera, packed with many professional grade features.  Just about the only things “not professional” about it are the button layout, and the lack of a full weather sealed body with a magnesium allow chassis.

Buy it right the first time, and you will only buy it once!

Announcements