cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This might be my last ever Canon product!

rmrgdr
Contributor

Had a several great Canon 35mm film camera, a Rebel dslr  that lasted for MANY  years, then corrupted it's electronics and became useless.

Bought a new . 

Rebel last August ( 2016 ), now suddendly it does NOTHING when plugged into either PC I use. Litteraly, one day it works fine, the NEXT DAY........will not work. NOTHING was changed ( by me ) on the computers, the only change on the camera was I formatted the card ( to erase previous un needed images). The images are on the camera, but NOTHING pops up, no connection to any photo program ( I have several ). 

Both PC's "see" the camera, indicate it's there, but no recognizing of images to be downloaded.

How could formatting the card cause this?At wits end, ANY IDEAS BY ANYONE??

HELP!

21 REPLIES 21

It is exactly that kind of fiddly software default setting issue, trying to make a camera and a computer talk to each other, that make me just use a simple card reader. Weird little disconnects arise when you get a new computer, get a new camera, get a new external hard drive, update your operating system, update your antivirus or security, or sometimes seemingly for no reason whatsoever. 

Nothing in the world is simpler and more foolproof than manually highlighting all the image files on your card, and then dragging and dropping them to the file where you store them on your hard drive. 

Besides ease and simplicity there there are other benefits to using a card reader:

1.) You don't have to run the camera's battery down to upload files to the computer.

2.) The transfer rate is often faster.  

3.) Utterly foolproof. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Angry, rambling tirades? Please, hardly. Should I be HAPPY I have WASTED 700 dollars on yet another Canon camera that does not function? You imply I am the problem, I think the terrible quality of today's Canon camera is the proble. YOU have been no help, not even close. Please stop wasting my time, you have contributed nothing to solving my proble. You are just the guy when asked for tech support says"is it plugged in", "Is it turned on".LOL!

Others are at least trying.

You may want to re-read what you've been writing... 

I'm trying to figure out what you've done and what I read is:

1 - camera worked fine for six months.

2 - you reformmated your memory card

3 - your pictures are gone

Well, yes... reformatting the card does tend to erase all the images.   So if that's the issue I'd say the camera is functioning precisely as expected.

Of course this makes no sense to us.  When things don't make sense it usually means important details are missing.

Can you describe the issue a bit more carefully and fill us in on those missing details?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Rmrgdr.

Please turn your camera on and ensure that it's not connected via USB to your computer, then press the MENU button. If [Wi-Fi/NFC] is set to [Enable], your camera won't be able to connect to any computer via USB. To check for this, navigate to the 3rd setup tab (), then scroll down to "Wi-Fi/NFC" to ensure that it's set to "Disable".

If you continue to encounter difficulty, I recommend contacting our Technical Support Team.  For contact options, please use this URL:  http://Canon.us/ContactCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I , of course have done this. Thank you for at least trying. SO WHERE do I find tech sopport? Thanks again.

If wifi is turned off, two potential areas must be eliminated before you can assume it's the camera.  The first is the cable itself, and the second is the card.  Have you tried another cable?  The other step is to see if the computers will recognize the SD card and transfer your images with a card reader .... which you already said you have.  If the cable proves to be good, and the PC can download the pictures from your card reader, then the camera is likely the issue.  A call to Canon support is then the only viable option and the camera will be repaired if necessary.  

How can I delete this whole useless thread? MODS PLEASE DELETE>

You are right, most of us - those without red names - are *literally* amateurs. We do this because we like to help people.

@rmrgdr wrote:

How can I delete this whole useless thread? MODS PLEASE DELETE>

At least now we know. Please forgive us for wasting your time, and we'll forgive you for wasting ours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@rmrgdr wrote:

I , of course have done this. Thank you for at least trying. SO WHERE do I find tech sopport? Thanks again.

The moderators have already provided you with two links to tech support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements