cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering & Win7 350D drivers not recognized

canon2u
Contributor

Using a Canon 350D with updated Windows 7.  I want to try tethered photography but had so many problems getting the computer to even recognize the camera in Windows 7.  It seemed to work in XP.  I used the ImageBrowser EX and every other conceivable driver available off the Canon website.  None seemed to recognize the camera in Windows 7. 

I wonder what I should check?  This is bewildering. 

If I ever get this thing recognized is it advisable to use the Canon software for tethering?  Or are other programs better?  At first I wouldn't need any image manipulation abilities but later that would be very good to have. 

And is there an inexpensive way of tethering wirelessly?  I'll be upgrading this camera soon so should I just look for a model with wifi?  And would I lose quite a bit of speed with wifi vs USB3?

4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

I think you probably need an original 350D installation disk that included ZoomBrowser and not ImageBrowser. I would imagine that Canon no longer have the old software on their system although it might be worth trying Canon EU as well as Canon USA.

The original disk that I still have is EOS Solutions V11.1

@canon2u wrote:

Using a Canon 350D with updated Windows 7.  I want to try tethered photography but had so many problems getting the computer to even recognize the camera in Windows 7.  It seemed to work in XP.  I used the ImageBrowser EX and every other conceivable driver available off the Canon website.  None seemed to recognize the camera in Windows 7. 

I wonder what I should check?  This is bewildering. 

If I ever get this thing recognized is it advisable to use the Canon software for tethering?  Or are other programs better?  At first I wouldn't need any image manipulation abilities but later that would be very good to have. 

And is there an inexpensive way of tethering wirelessly?  I'll be upgrading this camera soon so should I just look for a model with wifi?  And would I lose quite a bit of speed with wifi vs USB3?

When the 350D was current, there were two competing camera-to-computer communication protocols. I believe the 350D defaulted to the one that ultimately lost and which may not be supported by Windows 7. Check your user manual to see if the camera has an option to use the other protocol. (I can never remember the names of the two protocols, but somebody here will. Or you can Google for it.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob is right, the answer is to change the camera protocol from "PC Connection" to "Print TPP", see here:

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/canon-350d-driver-problem.77692/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If I ever get this thing recognized is it advisable to use the Canon software for tethering?"

Lightroom will do it. Capture One Pro or even EOS Utility will.  You may never get full control of the camera.  You can't have things that were not offered in the camera back in 2006 (?).  Ten or 12 years ago is a long time in electronics. Also, tethering is not good for surveillance use if that is a goal.  Rebels don't do that. I don't think it supports USB 3.0 either.  It won't do wi-fi without some add-on gear.

The drivers for Windoze to recognize the XT are included and come from Windoze.  Not Canon, so you can't d/l them from Canon. I tether cameras all the time.  I can't remember if I ever did it with my old XTi or what Win version I was running. I know I did it with my 1Ds Mk III (probably Win 7) which is about the same age as your XT.

If you get this to work buy active USB cables.  They make a world of difference. Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements