cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tele converter

Franknad
Apprentice

Can you use a rele converter with a 3ti and an ef 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 usm is lens???

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Unfortunately not...  Canon doesn't list it as a compatible lens.

When you use a teleconverter, you multiply the focal length (or focal length range if it's a zoom lens) by the multiplier factor of the teleconverter (typically either 1.4x or 2x).  But you ALSO have to muliply the focal ratio of the lens by the same factor. 

That means that if you use a 1.4x teleconverter with a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens then it will become a 98-420mm f/5.6-8 lens.  The focal ratio becomes a problem for the auto-focus system.  The AF sensors in the T3i can work at f/5.6... but not at f/8.  The only cameras that have working autofocus at f/8 are the 1D X, the 5D III, and ... I think the 7D II also has working autofocus on f/8 (I'm less confident on the 7D II... maybe someone else can confirm.)

As you have a T3i, the camera will not be able to autofocus if you use the 70-300 with the 1.4x (and the 2x would be even worse... that's f/8-11 and no camera can auto-focus above f/8).

If you check the manual for the Canon teleconverters they will list the lenses that work with it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

amfoto1
Authority

Tim is correct... Canon teleconverters will not even mount to a 70-300mm. They have a protruding front element that needs to fit inside the rear of the lens and the 70-300mm isn't large enough diameter to physically fit any of the Canon TCs (some lenses may have rear lens elements that aren't recessed enough to accomodate the Canon TCs, too). 

He's also correct that any teleconverter not only changes the effective focal length, it also reduces light passing through (one stop with a 1.4X teleconverter, two stops with a 2X and three stops with a 3X).

There are some third party teleconverters that will physically fit the 70-300mm.  Kenko Pro 300 1.4X and 2X DGX, and Kenko MC4 1.4X and 2X DGX, for example, will fit onto the lens okay. However, using a 1.4X to make the lens an effective 98-420mm f5.6-8 or a 2X would make the lens an effective 140-600mm f8-11. Your T3i needs f5.6 to be able to autofocus. A few Canon cameras can focus f8 lenses or f8 equivalent lens + TC combos (among current models 1DX, 5DIII, 7DII, with limited AF points). Also, there are a few f6.3 lenses that sort of fool the camera into focusing.

Speaking of which, it is possible to put a piece of tape over a couple of the electronic contacts on the teleconverter, so the camera doesn't know it's there.... In which case the camera will at least try to autofocus. Just don't expect too much... It will depend upon light conditions, subject contrast and more, but the autofocus will be more likely to struggle, hunt and fail. (If interested in trying this, do an Internet search for "Canon teleconverter tape autofocus" and you'll find websites that illustrate how to do it.)

You also could try to manually focus the lens. Just be aware that your viewfinder will be dimmed down, too. It may be possible to manual focus using Live View with Exposure Simulation to brighten the screen, but that will be slower.

However, even if you get around the issues of physically attaching the teleconverter and focusing problems, you still shouldn't expect too much. Adding optics to any lens typically costs some image quality. With a weaker 1.4X it may be just a little. There's more quality loss with a 2X. I have never seen a 3X teleconverter I'd use, there is so much loss of image quality. There are simply so many different possible combinations, it's anyone's guess what particular lens and specific teleconverter might work together acceptible. But teleconverters typically work better with primes than with zooms, too.

For example, I have both 1.4X and 2X, and mostly use them with 135/2, 300/2.8, 300/4 and 500/4 lenses. Occasionally I'll use 1.4X on a 70-200/2.8 lens (which will accept a Canon TC physically). But I won't use a 2X on that zoom because there's just too much loss of image quality.   (Note: Newer versions of 70-200 and 2X teleconverter are said to work better together.)

You really might be better served by saving up toward a longer focal length lens, instead of trying to use a teleconverter with that lens. For example, Canon 100-400mm Mark II looks to be an excellent lens, though it's over $2000. The first version of the 100-400 can be found used for under $800. Sigma 120-400mm OS and 150-500mm OS are now selling for under $500 (can be found new for $800 or a little more). And there are Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses selling new for $1100.

Canon 400mm f5.6 is an excellent prime for about $1250 new, or for $900 or less used. However, plan on using a tripod or at least a monopod because the 400/5.6 doesn't have image stabilization (while all the other lenses mentioned do have it). Stabilization is a very helpful feature on a very long telephoto like this.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately the EF 70-300mm doesn't have the IQ to give up to be able to add a tele converter.  Which is always subject to how much you are willing to forfeit no matter what lens you have.  Whether you can make it work or not is not the factor.

In photography there is the saying, you give to get.  There is no free lunch.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Unfortunately not...  Canon doesn't list it as a compatible lens.

When you use a teleconverter, you multiply the focal length (or focal length range if it's a zoom lens) by the multiplier factor of the teleconverter (typically either 1.4x or 2x).  But you ALSO have to muliply the focal ratio of the lens by the same factor. 

That means that if you use a 1.4x teleconverter with a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens then it will become a 98-420mm f/5.6-8 lens.  The focal ratio becomes a problem for the auto-focus system.  The AF sensors in the T3i can work at f/5.6... but not at f/8.  The only cameras that have working autofocus at f/8 are the 1D X, the 5D III, and ... I think the 7D II also has working autofocus on f/8 (I'm less confident on the 7D II... maybe someone else can confirm.)

As you have a T3i, the camera will not be able to autofocus if you use the 70-300 with the 1.4x (and the 2x would be even worse... that's f/8-11 and no camera can auto-focus above f/8).

If you check the manual for the Canon teleconverters they will list the lenses that work with it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

Tim is correct... Canon teleconverters will not even mount to a 70-300mm. They have a protruding front element that needs to fit inside the rear of the lens and the 70-300mm isn't large enough diameter to physically fit any of the Canon TCs (some lenses may have rear lens elements that aren't recessed enough to accomodate the Canon TCs, too). 

He's also correct that any teleconverter not only changes the effective focal length, it also reduces light passing through (one stop with a 1.4X teleconverter, two stops with a 2X and three stops with a 3X).

There are some third party teleconverters that will physically fit the 70-300mm.  Kenko Pro 300 1.4X and 2X DGX, and Kenko MC4 1.4X and 2X DGX, for example, will fit onto the lens okay. However, using a 1.4X to make the lens an effective 98-420mm f5.6-8 or a 2X would make the lens an effective 140-600mm f8-11. Your T3i needs f5.6 to be able to autofocus. A few Canon cameras can focus f8 lenses or f8 equivalent lens + TC combos (among current models 1DX, 5DIII, 7DII, with limited AF points). Also, there are a few f6.3 lenses that sort of fool the camera into focusing.

Speaking of which, it is possible to put a piece of tape over a couple of the electronic contacts on the teleconverter, so the camera doesn't know it's there.... In which case the camera will at least try to autofocus. Just don't expect too much... It will depend upon light conditions, subject contrast and more, but the autofocus will be more likely to struggle, hunt and fail. (If interested in trying this, do an Internet search for "Canon teleconverter tape autofocus" and you'll find websites that illustrate how to do it.)

You also could try to manually focus the lens. Just be aware that your viewfinder will be dimmed down, too. It may be possible to manual focus using Live View with Exposure Simulation to brighten the screen, but that will be slower.

However, even if you get around the issues of physically attaching the teleconverter and focusing problems, you still shouldn't expect too much. Adding optics to any lens typically costs some image quality. With a weaker 1.4X it may be just a little. There's more quality loss with a 2X. I have never seen a 3X teleconverter I'd use, there is so much loss of image quality. There are simply so many different possible combinations, it's anyone's guess what particular lens and specific teleconverter might work together acceptible. But teleconverters typically work better with primes than with zooms, too.

For example, I have both 1.4X and 2X, and mostly use them with 135/2, 300/2.8, 300/4 and 500/4 lenses. Occasionally I'll use 1.4X on a 70-200/2.8 lens (which will accept a Canon TC physically). But I won't use a 2X on that zoom because there's just too much loss of image quality.   (Note: Newer versions of 70-200 and 2X teleconverter are said to work better together.)

You really might be better served by saving up toward a longer focal length lens, instead of trying to use a teleconverter with that lens. For example, Canon 100-400mm Mark II looks to be an excellent lens, though it's over $2000. The first version of the 100-400 can be found used for under $800. Sigma 120-400mm OS and 150-500mm OS are now selling for under $500 (can be found new for $800 or a little more). And there are Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses selling new for $1100.

Canon 400mm f5.6 is an excellent prime for about $1250 new, or for $900 or less used. However, plan on using a tripod or at least a monopod because the 400/5.6 doesn't have image stabilization (while all the other lenses mentioned do have it). Stabilization is a very helpful feature on a very long telephoto like this.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately the EF 70-300mm doesn't have the IQ to give up to be able to add a tele converter.  Which is always subject to how much you are willing to forfeit no matter what lens you have.  Whether you can make it work or not is not the factor.

In photography there is the saying, you give to get.  There is no free lunch.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements