cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T8i strange glow on pics

msnivens
Contributor

I'm having a strange green/purple glow on my pictures sometimes with my brand new T8i. I happens on one of them, but not the other one, so I'm thinking something may be wrong with the one that keeps doing it. It seems to only do it on wide angle photos. When I zoom in, it doesn't have the glow. Is this something anyone has heard of? Is it a setting I can fix? Any suggestions??

glow.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

msnivens
Contributor

I have used a Canon lens and a Tamron lens and it happens with both of them.

Looks to be chromatic aberation.  Which is worse when a lens is wide open.   What specific lens are you using?

CA occurs in areas of high contrast (e.g. the edges of those lights).  But also where dark areas transition to light areas.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I have used 2 lenses with that camera and had the same problem both times, definitely in the wider angles.

a Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3

and

a Canon zoom lens EF 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS II USM

I'm assuming the image above is with the Tamron at 16mm? That may just be how that lens is.  I'm surprised though if the Canon 70-200 is doing the same for you.

I can get a lot of CA with my Canon 50mm f/1.2 L, but only really when at f/1.2.  It decreases with narrower apertures.

If you can, try closing the aperature and then increasing say ISO.  That will add more noise, but see if that helps reduce the CA issues.

--
Ricky

I've used both lenses with my T3i and T3's and I have never had this happen before, and it doesn't happen on my other T8i, just the one. 

I honestly don't know, but it does sound like an issue with your one T8i.  Do you have reduce chromatic aberation turned on for one T8i, but not the other?  Beyond any camera settings, I guess contact Canon as it could be some hardware issue.

--
Ricky

I don't know. I haven't turned anything on or off on either of them, but I'll look into that setting for sure. Thanks so much for your help!

Before trouble shooting, you need to reset everything to factor default. The Canon zoom is not subject to high CA but the Tamron has tons of it.

First go to your menu, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings. If the problem persists with the Canon lens, you have a problem with the camera.  Send it to Canon for a C&C. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It could also be a weird flicker with the lights. Are you getting a flicker warning?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements