cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T8i settings for real estate

Spolino84
Apprentice
Hello. I am new to this camera and photography in general. I’m practicing and plan on getting into real estate photography. What settings should I be using for the best possible pictures?

Thanks

Scott
13 REPLIES 13

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
I strongly recommend that you obtain and read a copy of Lighting Interiors, a book on real estate photography by Scott Hargis, an expert in real estate photography. He shoots Canon, so you will see him refer to gear that may be appropriate. While a lot is about lighting technique, which is a major component of successful real estate photography, he also reviews the gear he uses.

One of the major aspects of real estate photography is to get wide angle shots, sadly a crop sensor body has challenges with using wide angle lenses. If you want to understand this look at this article:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2666934640/what-is-equivalence-and-why-should-i-care

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Spolino84
Apprentice
Thank you. I got the canon 10-18mm lens. Some of the issue I’m having is when I take a picture, the photo will look nice and clear on my screen. But when I load it onto my computer, there is much more grain than I’d like.

With the 10-18 lens, the widest possible aperture is f/4.5.  But if at the 18 end, it's f/5.6.

Do you have a tripod? If so, do some longer exposures.  e.g. if you shot say at 1/60s at ISO 3200, you could drop that to ISO 100 and use 1/2 second.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Spolino84
Apprentice
I do have a tripod. I used the settings you posted. I will update you when I have time to load them on my computer!

IMG_0578.JPGIMG_0577.JPGIMG_0584.JPG

Here are the results.  The last photp i was messing around with the exposure trying to fix the overblown window situation.  Any tips on dealing with that?  Thanks

Two things strike me right away. Make your verticals VERTICAL and if you want advice on lighting for real estate get the reference I suggested. It is cheap as a downloadable PDF and has masses of information on this subject from a recognized expert.  If you don't like reading he has a video series out now:

https://photographyforrealestate.net/lighting-for-real-estate-photography-video-series-by-scott-harg...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The only way to avoid blown out windows are to greatly increase the lighting in the room or use HDR.

"The only way to avoid blown out windows are to greatly increase the lighting in the room or use HDR."

The only real way to avoid blown out windows is to use a good post editor. HDR can be helpful, too but Lightroom and/or Photoshop is the answer.  It will allow you to adjust the verticals too. Use Raw format to increase the ability to edit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Or, use ND gel sheets or one to two stop meshes on the outside of the windows.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements