cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i won't take pictures

Grindolf
Apprentice
Hi so I have a really odd issue, my camera will focus fine, the flash works the green light to say it's focused comes on and my camera refuses to shoot...

However, I connect my camera to my phone via Bluetooth and tell it to shoot via my phone it will take a picture and save it to the memory card fine.

I know the button works because of I light press it out will autofocus, it just refuses to take a picture in Manual or Auto Focus.

Does anyone have any advice?
6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try setting the camera to P mode on the shooting dial.  Look in the Menus for the option to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  Next, you want to clear out all Custom Functions.

D379EA67-B328-476D-981E-DB9796E75AFF.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Grindolf
Apprentice
Yeah that didn't work, thank you though. I did find if I go into live view on the screen the tap function does let me take pictures. The main button let's me focus it just won't let me take pictures so I'm assuming it's half damaged or something insane like the

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

@Grindolf wrote:
Hi so I have a really odd issue, my camera will focus fine, the flash works the green light to say it's focused comes on and my camera refuses to shoot...

However, I connect my camera to my phone via Bluetooth and tell it to shoot via my phone it will take a picture and save it to the memory card fine.

I know the button works because of I light press it out will autofocus, it just refuses to take a picture in Manual or Auto Focus.

Does anyone have any advice?

Grindolf,

Are you using your camera in auto mode?

You mentioned using a flash. I read that some cameras will refuse to take a picture if it thinks that the setting is too dark and would result in a blurry photo if you are in auto mode.

Do you still have the same problem if you take a picture outside in broad daylight? If you don't have the same problem, then you need to add more light in those times when you are using your flash.

Also, you could try using a shutter release cable until you can get your camera looked at.

Steve Thomas

Grindolf
Apprentice
Yeah my battery pack has a shutter release so I used the cable and it works perfectly, it works if I use live view and press the screen and it works if I use Bluetooth in my phone, it literally only doesn't work using the actually shutter button so I'm guessing it's damage to the button even though it will still focus using it. It's so odd

@Grindolf wrote:
Yeah my battery pack has a shutter release so I used the cable and it works perfectly, it works if I use live view and press the screen and it works if I use Bluetooth in my phone, it literally only doesn't work using the actually shutter button so I'm guessing it's damage to the button even though it will still focus using it. It's so odd

Remove the extra stuff, and test just the camera and a lens alone.

Is that a battery pack for the camera?  The T7i does not normally use a battery pack, or battery grip.  Canon did not desig it to use one,so they did not design a battery grip for it.  

All of the third party grips use an external cable that connects to the shutter release input.  When you're connected to the external shutter release, the onboard shutter button may be disabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Lose the battery grip pack and hope it didn’t damage your camera. There is a reason Canon didn’t design a grip for this camera.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements