cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i focus issues

graphicgoddess
Apprentice

Is it possible to calibrate the Canon 75-300 and the 18-55 lenses on the T7i? Every video I watch has "pro" type cameras that have micro calibration settings but I don't see them on my T7i. My camera seems to be focusing a bit in front of my focal point. i.e. I took a photo of my son sitting with his hands on his knees. I focused on his face/eyes but it seems his hands are what are mostly in focus. Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Rebel's don't have AFMA.

You can send your camera/lens into canon to be calibrated.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Rebel's don't have AFMA.

You can send your camera/lens into canon to be calibrated.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Smiley Sad I appreciate your input.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@graphicgoddess wrote:

Is it possible to calibrate the Canon 75-300 and the 18-55 lenses on the T7i? Every video I watch has "pro" type cameras that have micro calibration settings but I don't see them on my T7i. My camera seems to be focusing a bit in front of my focal point. i.e. I took a photo of my son sitting with his hands on his knees. I focused on his face/eyes but it seems his hands are what are mostly in focus. Any help would be appreciated.

The EF-75-300mm series of lenses are not Canon's best effort.  Like many consumer lenses, their AF motors are too inconsistent to make AFMA worth the time and effort.  This is one reason why their maximum apertures are so small, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

graphicgoddess
Apprentice
Thanks. Yeah. I can’t expect too much on a camera that is less than $1000. But I’m not a trained professional photographer, just a “good amateur” that takes photos for my clients who don’t have a lot of money. Most of my investment is in graphic design stuff. I can’t afford a $6000 camera with a $2000 lens 😢

That may not be the problem.  Keep in mind the AF system will try to focus on the closest thing.  If you miss your pinpoint focus spot you may not get what you thought. Just a thought you might keep in mind.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@graphicgoddess wrote:
<snip> I can’t expect too much on a camera that is less than $1000. <snip>

Actually, you can. The T7i is a pretty good camera. My wife, who is a retired pro photographer, uses one and is quite happy with it. She bought it because of its weight, along with the newer EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM II, which is also very light (she shoots mostly birds). She also uses the EF 100mm L macro, the nifty 50 II, and the EF-S 35mm macro (with the built in light ring). I occasionally use it with our other L lenses (70-300L II 100-400L II). I know you probably aren't going to rush out and buy L glass, so I am only mentioning it to reference that the T7i is capable. Your glass is the weak point here, particularly the 75-300. I've used that lens and the 18-55. I do like the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II and have used it on my 7D2 for sky shots and other things.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you! I will look into those other lenses. I do love this camera, I was just so dissappointed when my photos were coming out just blurry enough to not be usable for print.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the Canon 75-300..."

Another point, with this lens on a T7i and you are pretty close to your subject, your DOF will be very small.  Meaning OOF will be pretty easy to get.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Or . . .Switch off the Auto Focus and see if you get better results by focusing manually. Trust your own eyes. You may be surprised. Robot wink

Announcements