cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i control wheel stops working when screen closed and viewfinder display blacks out

SharpPhoto
Apprentice

A customer of ours was irate and wanted to return her camera because the controls stop functioning in M, Av, and Tv once the information in the viewfinder blacks out after about three seconds.  If the rear display is facing outwards the shutterspeed, etc can be changed, but when it is facing inwards the control wheel stops working entirely once the information in the viewfinder disappears. Is this something that's been fixed in a firmware update?  Is there any way to correct this behavior?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"...  the controls stop functioning in M, Av, and Tv once the information in the viewfinder blacks out after about three seconds.  If the rear display is facing outwards the shutterspeed, etc can be changed, but when it is facing inwards the control wheel stops working entirely once the information in the viewfinder disappears...."

What is being displayed on the LCD when the settings are being changed?  

I do not think there is anything wrong with the camera.  When the metering system goes idle you should not be able to change the exposure settings. 

When the LCD is facing outwards, pressing on the controls causes the LCD to light up.  And, you make your adjustments while viewing the settings on the screen.  When the LCD is closed, facing inwards, how can you see what you are doing?  Of course, the controls seem to be dead.  Only certain buttons can awaken the metering system.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I talked some more with the customer and apparently the problem she has with it isn't what I described, but that she doesn't like the duration of the display in the viewfinder for metering. It only lasts about three seconds.  I seem to recall that it was possible to change this on the T6i, but I can't find a setting to change it on the T7i.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the controls stop functioning in M, Av, and Tv ..."

But full auto is still operating as normal?  That's how it works.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements