cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i - Telephoto kit lens of bad quality

ravinat
Contributor

Along with my recent purchase of Canon Rebel T7i, the vendor included two kit lenses - 1) 28-55 mm STM IS lens and 2) 75-300mm EF lens. 

The zoom lens has no IS and the image are bad. I overlooked the IS side of Canon as I came from the Olympus E-510 world, where there was IS on the body.

I am trying to look for 55-250 IS STM lens, which is supposed to capture good images. I need to get rid of the 75-300 mm. In the meanwhile, I have taken shots with a Tripod in bright light and the lens performs OK. In all other circumstances (hand-held, cloudy, indoor) it performs very sub-optimally. 

Two questions:

1) Is the 55-250 IS STM lens a good alternative, given budget considerations?

2) Till I get rid of the 75-300 mm lens, how best can I use it?

12 REPLIES 12

We learn how to do it & practice until we get decent at it before introducing more difficult conditions. As conditions go down hill so does the keeper rate. On 1 forum I belong to a very skilled aviation photographer in Australia is happy with a 1% keeper rate but the photos he puts on line are exceptional.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You do realize cicopo is shooting model RC airplanes and not full size airplanes?  RC is extremely difficult to do as well as he does it.  Plus he has a lot better "L" lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I shoot both types & have a full scale air show coming up in 3 or 4 weeks. R/C is much harder but gives me a lot more practice. I can use higher shutter speeds with the R/C engines but they are also much closer so my panning skills need to be very smooth. Either way practice has a lot to do with results. Better lenses are always a good thing but knowing what settings to use is still very important & I've done full scale with very good results with a consumer grade superzoom. This is from the original 7D & Tamron 18-270. I used 1/320 sec for these. The first one of Skip Stewart was shot with the sun almost directly behind & slightly above him.

10430895166_e3816853e7_o.jpg

10430960234_75eda8626f_o.jpg

10431151963_7b7de42148_o.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements