cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i Focusing Issues?

rgfoto
Contributor

So... I've shot a few images with a T5i, and then with the T7i (both in manual, same settings, and using a 24-105 Canon lens), and I consistently find that the images shot with the T7i are always out of focus. The camera will tell me, when reviewing the images, where the focus point is, but even that spot is out of focus. The T5i seems to be doing a much better job with the same focus point (as close as possible, anyway) selected.

I tested this earlier, and set a manual focus point and shot a few photos of my sun playing on the deck with the camera in AI Servo. It pretty much missed focus every time. Could someone advise, please? I'm going to shoot some more photos with the camera in a day or two with the Tamron 70-200 and see what happens...

28 REPLIES 28

Oook... anyway, got the 6D Mk 2 today... some preliminary results show that it focuses quite well with that lens. Will have to try more.

@rgfoto wrote:

Oook... anyway, got the 6D Mk 2 today... some preliminary results show that it focuses quite well with that lens. Will have to try more.

It focuses very well with it. With 27 f/8 AF points, it tracks very well with an 1.4x extender with telephoto lens. Set Image Priority to Focus Priority.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That camera supports the "auto focus micro-adjustment" feature.  If you focus an AF point on a subject, but the result consistently focuses a touch closer or a touch farther, the AFMA feature will let you tweak the camera's focus behavior.  

AFMA can track independent focus adjustments based on lens model.  So if one lens slightly front focuses, but another slightly back-focuses, it's still able to be adjusted to accommodate both lenses.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"...the focus & recompose just doesn't matter."

Now you know the difference between real world situations and your theoretical chart world.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@rgfoto wrote:

TCampbell, yea.. I got a 6D Mk2 coming in the mail. I'm gonna give that a shot as well before I call Canon.

Waddizzle, that defeats the purpose of continuous focus.. I need it to capture a moving toddler/race car/bar fight lol.
Plus, focusing and recomposing with the 24-105 continuously leads to out of focus images. Well, I suppose that could be because of the focusing issues I'm experiencing in the first place.

A fast shutter speed is what you need fo capture moving toddlers.  Are you shooting indoors or outdoors?  If you are outdoors, then you should have sufficient light for 1/1000, or faster.  If you are indoors, then you may not get the shutter speed you need.  You would need a faster lens, like the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, of the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rgfoto wrote:

TCampbell, yea.. I got a 6D Mk2 coming in the mail. I'm gonna give that a shot as well before I call Canon.

Waddizzle, that defeats the purpose of continuous focus.. I need it to capture a moving toddler/race car/bar fight lol.
Plus, focusing and recomposing with the 24-105 continuously leads to out of focus images. Well, I suppose that could be because of the focusing issues I'm experiencing in the first place.

A fast shutter speed is what you need fo capture moving toddlers.  Are you shooting indoors or outdoors?  If you are outdoors, then you should have sufficient light for 1/1000, or faster.  If you are indoors, then you may not get the shutter speed you need.  You would need a faster lens, like the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, of the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.

You dont think that a 160 - 250 shutter speed is enough? I'll try a higher speed I guess.

That said, at times, my son was sitting quite still... so I donno. I'll continue testing.

@rgfoto wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rgfoto wrote:

You dont think that a 160 - 250 shutter speed is enough? I'll try a higher speed I guess.

That said, at times, my son was sitting quite still... so I donno. I'll continue testing.

No, not for moving subjects.  I use a wide aperture lens, which helps a little to keep high ISO under control.  Learn to use the Creative shooting modes: Av, Tv, and M.  The P mode is good for learning about the camera.  I mostly use M with ISO Auto, and set an upper limit to ISO in the menus.

[EDIT]. Be aware that if your toddler is less than ten feet from the camera, the DOF [depth of field] can make your photos seem to be out of focus, OOF.

I shoot manual.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Since you have two cameras using the same lens, one works and one doesn't, you may have a defective camera.

Call Canon support 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements