cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i - Beginner macro photography challenges

ravinat
Contributor

I bought a T7i recently and I wanted to try macro photography (I am a landscape photographer). I bought a macro extender tube in Amazon and also a Yongnua 50 mm prime lens. 

The prime lens attached tot he T7i is great and works fine at different aperture settings from 1.8 to 22. 

When I attach the extender tube, and the prime lens to it, I am unable to change the aperture as there seems to be no way to do that on a Yongnua. I saw some recommendation that you can lock the aperture by doing a DoF preview. I did that and then when I remove the lens and attach the extender+lens,, the camera now allows me to manually focus, but not change the aperture.

Any suggestions?

17 REPLIES 17

The EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM is an interesting lens but I would still go for the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@kvbarkley wrote:

I have always felt that that lens has too small a working distance for 1:1.

I agree, but ...

If you are shooting static subjects, the distance should not be an issue most of the time.  If you need to back up, the camera has enough resolution to where a modest crop should not make much difference.  Also, the shorter focal length should give you more DOF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Return the lens and extension tube, and buy a Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro lens."

...and.......

Return the lens and extension tube, and buy a Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro lens.

Return the lens and extension tube, and buy a Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does your extender tube has the same electrical contacts as your camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

No, it does not have the electrical contact. Manual focus is not the issue. Setting the right aperture is. This is the case with the prime lens as well as the 18-55mm kit lens of Canon.

@ravinat wrote:

No, it does not have the electrical contact. Manual focus is not the issue. Setting the right aperture is. This is the case with the prime lens as well as the 18-55mm kit lens of Canon.

If your extension tubes have no electrical contacts, then you went just a little too low ball.  Those would be useful with a fully manual lens.

Most AF, Auto Focusing, lenses have electronic aperture control.  Without the electrical contacts, there is no way you will get aperture control with an AF lens.  

Macro lenses can also double as very good prime lenses.  In addition, because of their flatter focus plane, they can be useful where standard lenses are not.  For example, I recently too photos of a fairly wide wall mural.  The left and right ends of the mural were falling out of focus due to DOF.  My 100mm Macro was able to capture all of it in focus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

As far as I know you cannot set the aperture manually on an electro-optical lens. There are some manual lenses with a Canon EOS mount where you can set the aperture. For less than $20 you can get an extension tube with contacts. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

And has built in macro light.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/macro/ef-s-35mm-f-2-8-m...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements