cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7 unresponsive

delliott
Apprentice

I work as a photographer at a high volume car dealership and we don't have spare cameras lying around, so i'm coming here for help before I resort to sending the camera in for service.

I picked up a pair of T7 kits at my local Target in November and they worked flawlessly up until a few weeks ago. 

Both cameras at times will lock up. The buttons on the back become completely unresponsive. Sometimes the display stays on, sometimes it goes dark. When this happens, the focus beep will go off again and again without touching the shutter/focus button. However, the camera will still fire, and it will save the photos that were taken during it's tantrum. Turning the camera on/off doesn't resolve the issue and neither does removing the battery. The only way I can seem to get the problem to go away is to fire the camera 10-15 times or simply wait for it to stop wigging out. I can't replicate the issue on my own. It does it intermittently without anything obvious provoking it. If anyone has any idea of what's going on, please let me know. I'm going to attempt a firmware update and hope that does something. 

TIA!

15 REPLIES 15

@Waddizzle wrote:
He seemed to ignore the question.

Maybe he doesn't know what the question is. Frankly, I'm not sure that I do either. Are you saying that it's a bad idea to use a micro SD card (with adapter) rather than a full-size SD card? True enough, but it's not obvious that that's what he's doing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

delliott
Apprentice
Sorry about that. I was on the clock. It’s certainly a full size SD card. It’s the exact one posted by John. I swapped the card out for a SanDisk Ultra 8GB we used prior to the new cards. It seems to have mostly solved my problem, although it did seem like it wanted to wig out on me towards the end of my shift.

One of the first things I tried was resetting the camera, but I didn’t turn it to P before doing so. I left it in manual mode, so i’ll try resetting it again tomorrow with it switched to P.

Also, both cards are formatted almost every morning.

@delliott wrote:
Sorry about that. I was on the clock. It’s certainly a full size SD card. It’s the exact one posted by John. I swapped the card out for a SanDisk Ultra 8GB we used prior to the new cards. It seems to have mostly solved my problem, although it did seem like it wanted to wig out on me towards the end of my shift.

One of the first things I tried was resetting the camera, but I didn’t turn it to P before doing so. I left it in manual mode, so i’ll try resetting it again tomorrow with it switched to P.

Also, both cards are formatted almost every morning.

Switching to P shouldn't be necessary in your case. The reason we recommend it is that in modes "more automatic" than P, the option of resetting the camera is often not included in the menu. If you were able to do the reset, you should be fine.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" If you were able to do the reset, you should be fine."

This is only part of the reset, however, you must also clear all 'custom' settings, too.  Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.

Also, try this, put the T7 in P mode, you already did!  Set ISO to 200 and average WB. Put the lens switch to AF.  Go out side on a nice sunny day and shot some stuff.  General stuff, close and far. A couple dozen shots.  If all is well the cameras are fine. At a car dealership I think your best bet is to leave the T7 in P mode as a general rule. Using M mode you may have changed some setting wihtout knowing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

In his first post it almost sounded like he'd somehow switched it too Self Timer mode with Auto Exposure Bracketing. But what are the chances of doing that to both cameras simultaneously?

Probably not likely but folks leave out details all the time about their problems with cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements