cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6s electronic first curtain shutter

maupvil
Apprentice

Does the T6s have this and if so how is it activated?  Does it automatically activate with mirror lock up or LIVE view?  I can find nothing in the manual that explains this.  Does it occur in the "Silent" drive mode?  Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No, just the mechanical one. I guess video mode has one, but it is not available for stills.

diverhank
Authority

@maupvil wrote:

Does the T6s have this and if so how is it activated?  Does it automatically activate with mirror lock up or LIVE view?  I can find nothing in the manual that explains this.  Does it occur in the "Silent" drive mode?  Thanks

All Rebels are supposed to have it so it's logical to assume yours has it too.  I don't have the T6s so not sure if it has a silent mode. The EFCS is active whenever live view is on and when you have the silent mode (without live view).  When you use the flash, EFCS is turned off.  Mirror lock up alone will not activate this.  Edit-do not use live view face recognition or quick mode. EFCS is not on for those.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I believe it does not.  The T6s seems to lack a feature to control "Silent LV Shooting", although it does have silent drive modes.

"Canon has added two optional modes to reduce noise in Live View mode. Called "Silent Modes," the first leaves the first shutter curtain open while you shoot up to the maximum 3.8 frames per second. The second mode is a single shot mode which spreads the sounds out, not re-opening the shutter until you release the shutter button.

First a little explanation. Regardless of the camera, at high speeds, a mechanical shutter never fully exposes the sensor. On the 5D Mark II, in order to get a fast exposure above 1/200 second (the X-sync on the 5D Mark II), the second curtain has to follow right behind the first, creating a slit that moves across the sensor. Well, it turns out that the 5D Mark II's sensor can simulate the first part of this mechanical slit by starting to scanning the pixels in a line from top to bottom. Then the second curtain does have to come into play to close off the slit and finish the exposure. That means you can open both mirror and shutter once to enter Live View mode, then fire off 3.8 frames with only the sound of the second shutter, because the mirror and first curtain don't move.

Mode 1 is quite fast, with less noise and vibration, both because the mirror's not flapping around (it's locked up in Live View mode, and because of the electronic first curtain trick.

The other quiet mode, Mode 2, is more about spreading the sounds out. It's a single-shot mode, regardless of what Drive mode you have set before you enter Live View. Just press and hold the shutter down. All you hear is a quick "tick." That's the second curtain shutting. The image appears onscreen for two seconds, and then the screen goes black, because the second curtain is still closed. Hold the shutter for as long as you like. When you decide to release it, the rest of the camera functions will run, resetting for the next shot, and Live View will return to the LCD. These reset sounds are also pretty quiet, so I'm sure Mode 2 would be helpful when photographing wildlife."

The above explanation is from this article... http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A5.HTM

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You don't need models with silent mode to have EFCS. I'm 99% sure that the T6s has it.  EFCS is practically default on Canon DSLRS back to the 40d days.  The only model that doesn't have it is strangely enough the 1D prior to the 1DX which has it.  This is great for macro work...lots sharper at 3X or more magnification.

Rebels do not have it. I searched the T6S manual, and while it has an "electronically-controlled focal plane shutter", there is no other mention of an electronic shutter.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Rebels do not have it. I searched the T6S manual, and while it has an "electronically-controlled focal plane shutter", there is no other mention of an electronic shutter.

Hmm.  Is that a fancy way of saying that the image sensor is sampled in horizontal lines, from top to bottom, which would emulate the exposure of mechanical shutter as it swept across the image sensor?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Hmm.  Is that a fancy way of saying that the image sensor is sampled in horizontal lines, from top to bottom, which would emulate the exposure of mechanical shutter as it swept across the image sensor?

No, I think it is a fancy way of saying it is a mechanical shutter that does not depend on a spring to set the shutter time, and can be activated electrically.

@kvbarkley wrote:

EFCS is never in any manual for Canon but it's there in almost all DSLR. Search the internet, you will find plenty of references. This is not new.

Http://krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/

Thanks. I learned two new things about my T6S today. This, and that I can show focus points on the LCD.

Announcements