cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i that has black and white blinking boarders and or fills my images. Have set WB & AWB per book

Mallard
Contributor

I have a blinking white or black action skirting within or outside of my captured images, even with AWB or WB manual settings.   I did not experienced this after purchase and use of my T6i. I am at a loss why I am experiencing this.  I am shooting with a Tamron USM 70-200mm DI Vc  f2.8.   I shoot soccer in daylight and under lights @ night but I have the same problem with other captured images as well.  My old T2i never had this problem.  Is there something wrong with my camera or am I just not setting something correctly?  I have lived in the book trying to rectify this problem; however I cannot find anything that I have set inline with manual instructions that defeats my problem.  Does anyone have any guidance with this problem?  I would appreciate any assistance with this anomally.  One other thing is I have only had my T6i for four months and the lens about two months less.  I can adjust my problem with Canon's software better if I shoot RAW which I have been doing.  When I shoot in Jpeg and the imagers are washed out and almost white I have given up trying to adjust because of distortion.  The image is just unsalvageable.  HelpSmiley LOLMan Frustrated

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

First, since you've been moving around your white balance and maybe other settings go into the manual for directions on how to clear camera settings (this should be an Index topic).

As Bob said, if you are shooting in conditions with backlighting in particular you may have a scene that exceeds the whats called the dynamic range of the camera. If your subject is properly exposed but the background is too bright you will get the "blinkies" which are tewlling you the background is over exposed.

If you are getting an entire image washed out you probably have a setting wrong. Clear camera settings, choose center point focus and Program Mode and shoot a "normal" daylight scene - subject in sun with sun behind you. If that comes out OK nothing wrong with camera. If that isn't OK then there might be a camera problem if it happens with multiple lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Mallard wrote:

@I have a blinking white or black action skirting within or outside of my captured images, even with AWB or WB manual settings.   I did not experienced this after purchase and use of my T6i. I am at a loss why I am experiencing this.  I am shooting with a Tamron USM 70-200mm DI Vc  f2.8.   I shoot soccer in daylight and under lights @ night but I have the same problem with other captured images as well.  My old T2i never had this problem.  Is there something wrong with my camera or am I just not setting something correctly?  I have lived in the book trying to rectify this problem; however I cannot find anything that I have set inline with manual instructions that defeats my problem.  Does anyone have any guidance with this problem?  I would appreciate any assistance with this anomally.  One other thing is I have only had my T6i for four months and the lens about two months less.  I can adjust my problem with Canon's software better if I shoot RAW which I have been doing.  When I shoot in Jpeg and the imagers are washed out and almost white I have given up trying to adjust because of distortion.  The image is just unsalvageable.  HelpSmiley LOLMan Frustrated

Chances are the blinking is a "blown highlight" warning stemming from your overexposure problem. Read up on how to set (or how to let the camera set) the three parameters (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO setting) that contribute to correct exposure. If you get the exposure right, the blinking will probably stop. If it bothers you enough, you can just turn it off; there's a setting for that.

If you can't find what you're looking for in the printed manual, look at the one on the CD that came with your camera or download it from Canon's Web site. These days the printed manual is apt to be an abbreviated version.

Also, use the Evaluative Metering mode. I suspect you are using Spot Metering. Spot Metering has very limited use and is likely the cause of your overexposure problems. Despite what you read on the Internet Spot Metering isn't 'best' and causes many issues. Generally Spot Metering should never be using when the camera is setting the exposure. In my opinion Spot Metering should only be used to set the exposure in a fully manual mode, meaning Manual and no auto-ISO. Otherwise you should be using Evaluative Metering and Exposure Compensation as needed.

Thank you for your assistance.  You are right on I tried to use some sets that the manual stated was for really good photographers, which experience wise I am not.  I am going to try your suggestions for conformation of nothing being wrong with the camera.  I really appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share it with guys like me that got in over his head!!

6 REPLIES 6

@Mallard wrote:

@I have a blinking white or black action skirting within or outside of my captured images, even with AWB or WB manual settings.   I did not experienced this after purchase and use of my T6i. I am at a loss why I am experiencing this.  I am shooting with a Tamron USM 70-200mm DI Vc  f2.8.   I shoot soccer in daylight and under lights @ night but I have the same problem with other captured images as well.  My old T2i never had this problem.  Is there something wrong with my camera or am I just not setting something correctly?  I have lived in the book trying to rectify this problem; however I cannot find anything that I have set inline with manual instructions that defeats my problem.  Does anyone have any guidance with this problem?  I would appreciate any assistance with this anomally.  One other thing is I have only had my T6i for four months and the lens about two months less.  I can adjust my problem with Canon's software better if I shoot RAW which I have been doing.  When I shoot in Jpeg and the imagers are washed out and almost white I have given up trying to adjust because of distortion.  The image is just unsalvageable.  HelpSmiley LOLMan Frustrated

Chances are the blinking is a "blown highlight" warning stemming from your overexposure problem. Read up on how to set (or how to let the camera set) the three parameters (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO setting) that contribute to correct exposure. If you get the exposure right, the blinking will probably stop. If it bothers you enough, you can just turn it off; there's a setting for that.

If you can't find what you're looking for in the printed manual, look at the one on the CD that came with your camera or download it from Canon's Web site. These days the printed manual is apt to be an abbreviated version.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Mallard wrote:

Also, use the Evaluative Metering mode. I suspect you are using Spot Metering. Spot Metering has very limited use and is likely the cause of your overexposure problems. Despite what you read on the Internet Spot Metering isn't 'best' and causes many issues. Generally Spot Metering should never be using when the camera is setting the exposure. In my opinion Spot Metering should only be used to set the exposure in a fully manual mode, meaning Manual and no auto-ISO. Otherwise you should be using Evaluative Metering and Exposure Compensation as needed.

Bob, Thanks for your expertise!  I tried some stuff in trying Full Manual settings for night lighted soccer and have most likely set the wrong points.  I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!  I am going to use your advice and thanks again!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

First, since you've been moving around your white balance and maybe other settings go into the manual for directions on how to clear camera settings (this should be an Index topic).

As Bob said, if you are shooting in conditions with backlighting in particular you may have a scene that exceeds the whats called the dynamic range of the camera. If your subject is properly exposed but the background is too bright you will get the "blinkies" which are tewlling you the background is over exposed.

If you are getting an entire image washed out you probably have a setting wrong. Clear camera settings, choose center point focus and Program Mode and shoot a "normal" daylight scene - subject in sun with sun behind you. If that comes out OK nothing wrong with camera. If that isn't OK then there might be a camera problem if it happens with multiple lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for your assistance.  You are right on I tried to use some sets that the manual stated was for really good photographers, which experience wise I am not.  I am going to try your suggestions for conformation of nothing being wrong with the camera.  I really appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share it with guys like me that got in over his head!!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Hi Mallard. Thank you for posting back. We post suggestions based on what the OP posts and our experience. Getting confirmation that we helped builds our collective experience base.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements