cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i side grip making a odd sound when held firmly?

TMcArthur
Contributor

I bought a T6i a few days ago and received it yesterday. I have yet to even put 50 shots on the camera and I've noticed when I hold the side grip of the camera it makes a tap/creek sound. Almost like the panel is 100% connected.

Is this normal? I know it's nit-picky but it's my first proper DSLR and I want it to be perfect.

21 REPLIES 21

Thanks for the reply and clearing up some of the questions in this post! I will definitely look more for authorized dealers now rather than just going for it. As for the creaking noise, I was able to record a small video before the camera was shipped out. I don't believe it was the accelerometer because in the video It was making the sound while at a standstill. Here's the link if anyone's interested, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02vHpmunbUY

Wow. That's not a noise any of our cameras should make, ever.

I've been with Canon for a long time, and I don't think I've ever seen one where the grip has made noise like that. Our cameras are engineered to be very solid, and that sounded like the grip was physically loose! Smiley Frustrated

I'm positive when you get your replacement, you won't have the same problems, but be sure to keep us informed!

I'm sure it'll be fine once I get it back! My dad is quite the buyer from Canon (80D) and that thing is as solid as a brick. It's fallen off the roof of a truck (wife left it there) at 60mph and when they picked it up, it was still working like a charm. I will make sure to post here once I get the camera back with an update.

Do you advise buying from Canon.com even with the $40 tax and longer shipping? My main thing with Amazon is that I got free 2-day shipping and $40 less on the overall total.

@TMcArthur wrote:

Do you advise buying from Canon.com even with the $40 tax and longer shipping? My main thing with Amazon is that I got free 2-day shipping and $40 less on the overall total.

There are other reputable stores that sell online (B&H, Adorama, et al). And many of them don't have the delusion of universality that Amazon has and therefore don't have to charge tax.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

And many of them don't have the delusion of universality that Amazon has and therefore don't have to charge tax.

States where companies have a physical presence they are required to collect tax. If Amazon collects tax in your state it is because they have some brick and mortar presence in your state. It has to do with physical presence not delusions. 

Amazon's price is $580 while Canon.com's price is $620. I might just go with Canon's price, however, I might just have to drop the extra $40 for the security.

Direct from Canon with a one year warrenty.

EOS Rebel T6i EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished - $579

Holy crap it was out of stock 2 hours ago. Jesus what timing lol. I still have it in my cart.

@TMcArthur wrote:
Amazon's price is $580 while Canon.com's price is $620. I might just go with Canon's price, however, I might just have to drop the extra $40 for the security.

That price does not sound like an authorized Canon dealer.  It could, but it sounds too low.  I would venture that the camera on Amazon does not come with a US warranty.  

Correct me if am wrong, but I think Canon US support only recognizes warranties on gear sold for the US market.  Gear produced for sale in other countries, but sold in the US as new may not be recognized as having a valid warranty with Canon USA.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements