cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i power when a lense is mounted or dismounted?

dbeedie
Apprentice

on the T6i should the power be off when a lense is mounted or dismounted? Or does it make any difference?

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In principle it is a good idea to power off any device when connecting/disconnecting components.

In practise I have never experienced a problem and I rarely remember to power off.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have been shooting DSLR's since around year 2000 and I never turn off the camera.  I rarely ever turn off my camera anyway.  It goes to sleep on its own.  But I am a heavy camera user.  Everyday, many times a day.

But I think the manual says to turn it off, so I suggest you do so.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Once upon a time I recall reading that if a lens has image stabilization (IS) and you "power off" the camera, then the camera will "park" the IS components of the lens.  But if you remove the lenses without powering off the camera first then the IS elements don't get "parked".

I have no idea if that's still true today.  But I *try* to remember to toggle the power off before detaching a lens.  I don't always remember to power off and I've never had a problem.  So I don't think there's any big risk here.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements