cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i compatible External Recorder / Monitor

ericjroth
Apprentice

Hey. New to the Canon Forum. Really interested in recommendations for an external 7" recorder/monitor compatible with the T6i particularly to avoid the 29.59 video record cap. I looked at the Atamos Ninja V but was informed by my local shop that it was not compatible with my T6i. Be great to get some feedback.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ericjroth wrote:

Hey. New to the Canon Forum. Really interested in recommendations for an external 7" recorder/monitor compatible with the T6i particularly to avoid the 29.59 video record cap. I looked at the Atamos Ninja V but was informed by my local shop that it was not compatible with my T6i. Be great to get some feedback.

Your local shop is correct.  An external recorder would not be compatible with a Rebel body, because Rebels lack a clean video output.  If you are looking to capture long video clips, then understand that DSLRs do not make for very good video cameras or camcorders.  

DSLRs are good for capturing short video clips, not because of the 29:59 limit, but because their image sensors tend to overheat with extended use in video mode.  DSLR image sensors are designed for capturing high resolution images in a split second.  Make a quick grab, and that’s it.

A camcorder image sensors are designed to capture for constantly being turned on.  They capture much lower resolution images, but they can do so for an extended period of time.  Advanced camcorders have cooling fans to keep their electronics and image sensors cool.

What is it that you are looking to do regarding video?  YouTube and video logging?  Are you seriously looking into videography and cinematography? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ericjroth
Apprentice
Really appreciate the response. That says it right there...no clean video output on Rebel. I thought the HDMI output was capable of sending a video signal for recording onto an external device. What is the technical difference between the Rebel and other Canon models?
How is that stated in the Rebel specs because that is a real negative for that unit.

Currently need to record an uncut, one take, 3 hour video which can be low res but didnt want the poor image quality that comes with low cost camcorders and not interested in a second device aside from the Rebel. This is a one time thing but the external recorder monitor seemed an excellent form of upgrade to the DSLR particularly for future use short videos for YouTube, etc.

@ericjroth wrote:
Really appreciate the response. That says it right there...no clean video output on Rebel. I thought the HDMI output was capable of sending a video signal for recording onto an external device. What is the technical difference between the Rebel and other Canon models?
How is that stated in the Rebel specs because that is a real negative for that unit.

Currently need to record an uncut, one take, 3 hour video which can be low res but didnt want the poor image quality that comes with low cost camcorders and not interested in a second device aside from the Rebel. This is a one time thing but the external recorder monitor seemed an excellent form of upgrade to the DSLR particularly for future use short videos for YouTube, etc.

If this is a one time thing, then consider renting a digital video camera.  I have a Canon Cinema EOS C100.  While it is the bottom of the line model, it blows the socks off of just about any DSLR for HD video.  It can record 4K to an external recorder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ericjroth
Apprentice
Thanking you kindly.
Announcements