cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i Kit lens doesn't Movie servo focus unless at full 55mm

Gurrut
Apprentice

For some reason when I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens on my T6i, the movie servo doesn't focus at all unless I half press the shutter button OR I crank it up to 55m completely. Not even something like 53mm works, just fully turned works and nothing else. The autofocus in photo mode or half pressing during video works totally perfect, it's purely movie servo + sub-55mm focal length that isn't working. My 50mm 1.8 STM Canon lens works great for movie servo by the way. Is this a normal problem? I can leave the kit lens on 18mm and sit it on a table and it won't focus after like 10 minutes. 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the AI Servo does not have a FACE to track, then it will not track focus.  Make sure you have STM lenses.  The USM lenses should work, too. BUT, I think that you must initially select the subject 's face to be tracked.

Be cognizant of the number and coverage of your AF points, too.  Use Live View mode to find the AF points.  The tracking system needs something large enough to cover more than one AF point, which might explain why it only seems to work at 55mm for you.

Movie Servo mode does not work quite the same way as shooting stills through the viewfinder, because Movie Mode and Live View use a completely different focusing system.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've tried all modes on many subjects, I mostly just use the single rectangle focus mode. Nothing really works. (the lens is STM by the way)

Anyone find a fix for this? I have the same issue and most video I do does not have a person in the frame for face tracking. I too have tried different settings to no avail, the problem presists. ( I do Urban/abandoned exploration and metal detecting finds videos, that is why no one in frame most times for the face focus to work.)

I have noticed that with the still image the face focus will recognize our cats and even some objects that have face like patterns (One example is our Starwars R2-D2 bank the camera recognizes R2's top half as a face.) But nothing exept a persons face seems to be recognized as a focus point in video mode.

Announcements