cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6, videos and audio questions

simrick
Contributor

Hi. Really new to DSLR and need some advice please.

I have a Rebel T6 (yes, the one without the external mic jack).

I am looking to record some videos in addition to photography - nothing professional, but I do need good audio from people speaking quite a ways away from the camera. So I have a Wireless Lavalier Mic + Receiver which I would like to use to record audio.

I guess I need one other piece of the puzzle now - something to record the audio from the lavalier mic (I realize I have to do some post production to match the audio to the video).

Anyone here have some experience with this stuff, and can make some recommendations of the best way to accomplish this? Thanks very much.

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@simrick wrote:

I am looking to record some videos in addition to photography - nothing professional, but I do need good audio from people speaking quite a ways away from the camera. So I have a Wireless Lavalier Mic + Receiver which I would like to use to record audio.

I guess I need one other piece of the puzzle now - something to record the audio from the lavalier mic (I realize I have to do some post production to match the audio to the video).

Anyone here have some experience with this stuff, and can make some recommendations of the best way to accomplish this? Thanks very much.

I would trade up to a better camera, one with an audio input for a microphone.  The amount of gear you would need to make it work will most likely surpass the cost of upgrading your camera body.  If you are on a tight budget, upgrade the body.

Also, be mindful of the fact that a DSLR is not a video camera.  There are a handful of limitations and caveats covered in the instruction manual, mainly there are limits on file size, both in MBytes and minutes.  DSLRs are known to overheat and shutdown after extended use in video modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi and thanks so much for your reply.

I understand where you're coming from. Although I intend to do videos, this T6 will be used mostly for pictures. The T6 is about as much as I can do right now, so upgrading will have to wait. So, if you do know what would be involved to complete my setup, I'd like to know...

I also appear to have another option: there is an adapter cable which will plug in from the lavalier to my smartphone, and I am told that may work (right now, the lavalier does not work with my phone; it appears this adapter cable is supposed to solve that problem). Then I could record the audio to my phone, and would have to match the audio to the video post-production. Not a problem - will do that if I have to.

Thank you.

@simrick wrote:

Then I could record the audio to my phone, and would have to match the audio to the video post-production. Not a problem - will do that if I have to.

Thank you.

That is a far lot easier said than done.  This is where the fun begins.  Work arounds.  They come from the dark side of the Force.  They are a downward spiral.  One work around creates a problem, which leads to another work around, and so on and so forth.  

Okay, so we record audio on your phone.  Let’s figure out how that is going to work.  Using the phone to record the audio is work around number one.  How do you plan on getting the audio out of the phone?  

This is where work around number two kicks in.  How do you get the audio file from the phone to your post production computer?  No doubt there is a music sharing app that can do it.  This might involve some added expense for a suitable app. 

Do you have video post production software, and a capable PC, preferably one with a video card?  How you get your audio out of the phone, and in what file format, will be a determining factor, or more accurately the limiting factor, in what post production software you can use.  Audio files for video are not the same as audio files for pop music.  This excursion will be work around number three.  And, it will keep piling up and adding up as you use this work flow more and more.

All of the time, money, and effort that you put in to use the phone for audio will become obsolete should you ever upgrade to a better camera, one with an input for an external microphone.  Again, it would be much cheaper to simply trade to a better camera now.  

The T6 is truly a beginner’s camera, which is why there is no provision for external microphones.  Until you upgrade, I suggest that you put the idea of using an external microphone on hold.  Put it on the back burner.  There are a host of other things that you will need to learn about, so that you can make better informed choices when it comes to recording quality video.

You can also get a zoom recorder, which will be better than the smartphone. Remember to create your own clapboard to help sync video and audio.

John_SD
Whiz

@simrick wrote:

I personally own the T6 and can tell you that its video/audio capabilities, while basic and rudimentary, can still produce what I consider to be better than expected results, as long as your needs are also basic and simple -- such as recording something that is right in front of you, like a birthday party or kids playing. Beyond that, you will be exceeding its capabilities. I used it a few times to make sure it worked, but I myself have zero interest in video.

It sounds like you have some odd requirements that are going to exceed the audio capabilities of this camera, which will force you to get into external mics, post production work, syncing audio to video, etc. This is beyond the scope of the camera,and I believe that Waddizzle gave you some excellent advice. I too would advise you against going down a rabbit hole that will force you into making decisions that will open up other technical problems. Use the camera for what it's for -- to learn about DSLR photography. In that regard it will serve its purpose admirably and well. You do not need pro-level or even enthusiast-level gear to learn. I am living proof of that, and while I feel I am ready to step up to enthusiast level of gear, I have never once regretted my purchase of the T6. Pair it with a nce lens or two and it will serve you well. 

Thank you all for your suggestions and input - I really appreciate it.

I took the T6 back to the store, and swapped it for a T6i. I've downloaded the user manual (wow, it's huge!) and will do my best to learn this thing.

I hope to be able to avail myself of the valuable knowledge of the users of this forum in the future. Cheers!

@simrick wrote:

I took the T6 back to the store, and swapped it for a T6i. I've downloaded the user manual (wow, it's huge!) and will do my best to learn this thing. 

Kudos on downloading the user guide! This helped me in many ways when I got started and it will help you, too. There is a lot to learn from that manual and I still use mine. You would be surprised at the number of posters who are totally clueless about the functionality of their camera and its settings. You've taken a crucial step in your journey, to my way of thinking.

Some people say that they are "bored" reading such manuals. A few have gotten mad at me when I suggested to them that if they find it boring, DSLR photography isn't for them. Anyway, the full user guide that you've downloaded will help in you many ways. Now just wait till you download the Digital Photo Professional (DPP) guide and start digging in to that! 🙂 

Have fun and keep asking questions.

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) guide

Oh my! Don't do that to me yet....I may get scared off!  Man Wink

@simrick wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions and input - I really appreciate it.

I hope to be able to avail myself of the valuable knowledge of the users of this forum in the future. Cheers!

Good idea upgrading so quickly  

The T6i should have had the newer “STM” version of the EF-S 18-55mm standard camera kit lens.  It is as full featured as the Rebel series gets prior to the release of the next generation Rebel, the T7i last year.

Announcements