cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6 on the way

John_SD
Whiz

Hi all,

I started reading this forum a few weeks ago when I decided that I wanted to get into photography more seriously after a 30+ year absence from the hobby. It proved to be a big help right from the start as I came across several positive posts regarding the purchase of refurbished cameras direct from Canon.

I decided to place my order for a refurbished Rebel T6 kit, which should arrive tomorrow. I didn't want a top-of-the-line enthusiast or pro rig. I figured that the kit I purchased would go far in helping me learn about DSLR photography and lens use and handling, and that if I could learn enough to produce consistently good shots with the T6 and its 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses, that I could then justify a step up in equipment. And at a low $389.99 and the 1-year warranty, I feel that I got a great deal. 

So I look forward to receiving my gear! I've been spending time each day going over the PDF version of the user manual and actually enjoy reading it, odd as that may sound. I don't find this stuff boring. I also look forward to learning about DPP and processing RAW files.

I've already made my first small equipment purchase -- a 64GB SDXC card. Next up will be a UV filter, as I live in SoCal and love spending time in the desert, which as you know is chock full of life but dusty and sandy. I remember times in the past coming across snakes, scorpions, desert tortoises, etc., and I would quickly get down on my belly and take face-to-face shots of them, at least as best as I could. Hence my desire for the UV filter.

Anyway, I am rambling but wanted to briefly introduce myself. I look forward to paricipating in this great forum.

John

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new tool.

Lots of youtube videos for training/familiarization; just Goolge "Canon T6 tutorials"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

In December, I bought a refurbished T6S with two lenses through the Canon store.  Aside from the fact that refurbished gear is sold in a plain white box, everything looked new and showed no signs of use.

The new Rebel was a replacement for my old Canon 40D.  I wanted a lighter body, the wifi function, and wanted to get away from the CF card.  My new T6S has not disappointed, although I did have to go through more of a learning curve than I expected.  I started testing the new Rebel indoors, and found that camera shake was a factor in my first shots.  When I was finally able to get the camera out in some clear weather, the improvement in quality was dramatic.  All the newer Rebels are capable of tremendous IQ, but the ultimate limitation is the person behind the lens.

Buying the camera is only a first step, since what really sets these cameras apart from the higher quality point and shoots is their ability to take a huge variety of lenses.  I have sold some of my older lenses, and recently added both a Canon 10-18mm wide angle lens, as well as a Tamron 150-600mm monster.

It's all a lot of fun, and your new T6 will rekindle your passion for photography.  Have fun with it!

"... as well as a Tamron 150-600mm monster."

You will love this lens.  It takes a bit to get used to it but it is totally hand holdable for some great shots.  It and the Sigma C version are nearly twins.  IQ, AF, etc, but the Tammy is more weather sealed than the Siggy.

_D3X7721-Edit.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, the Tamron 150-600 is a lot of fun.  Having that huge range lets you go from zoom to mega-zoom in an instant.  The AF is fast, and the optical quality of the lens is very good.  It weighs a lot,  but isn't too bad to carry around for a while.  My biggest surprise has been how good the VC (IS) is on this lens.  Taking hand held shots, even at its full 600mm, is easy as long as the shutter speed stays over 1/100.  

This is the ultimate bird lens, as your sample shot nicely illustrates.  It may not be a practical every day lens, but I really like taking it out a few days every week just to see what it can do.

"It weighs a lot, ..."

Not really.  It and the Sigma C are rather on the light side for lrnses in this catagory.  It's all relative.  The Sigma S is heavy!

"... even at its full 600mm, is easy as long as the shutter speed stays over 1/100."

Good luck with that idea!  Let's say 1/500.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"All the newer Rebels are capable of tremendous IQ, but the ultimate limitation is the person behind the lens."

Makes perfect sense to me. That is why in addition to spending some time with the T6 manual each day so that I grow comfortable with the features and settings to the point that they become almost second nature to me, I am reading all I can about exposure and composition. Right now, I'm not much of a "specs" guy. I've visited a few other forums where the focus was on specs and laboratory testing results. Got a kick out of the trolls for a little while but decided the guys weren't that interested in the practice of photography. So here I am. 🙂

@John_SD wrote:

"All the newer Rebels are capable of tremendous IQ, but the ultimate limitation is the person behind the lens."

Makes perfect sense to me. That is why in addition to spending some time with the T6 manual each day so that I grow comfortable with the features and settings to the point that they become almost second nature to me, I am reading all I can about exposure and composition. Right now, I'm not much of a "specs" guy. I've visited a few other forums where the focus was on specs and laboratory testing results. Got a kick out of the trolls for a little while but decided the guys weren't that interested in the practice of photography. So here I am. 🙂

The "P" shooting mode is the best mode to use to learn the camera.  Learn how to select the center AF point, too.  Don't let the camera select the AF point for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, Waddizzle. Learning to shoot in 'P' mode is what I'm after, and sooner rather than later. I don't see myself using 'A' much beyond the first few days.

"Lots of youtube videos for training/familiarization; just Goolge "Canon T6 tutorials"

Thank you! I've looked at a few already. Good stuff. 

Announcements