cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6 no live view images

monteuxgallery
Apprentice

My T6 will not produce any images when using live view, but will when using the viewfinder.  AND - this problem ONLY occurs when using the 18-55mm lens, not the 70-300mm lens.  What gives???

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What do you mean by "produce any images"

The live image does not appear on the screen?

The camera will not take a picture?

Does the 18-55 work OK in normal viewfinder mode?

The 18-55 will produce an image when NOT in live view.  But when using that lens in live view, no images are produced!  They do not appear on the card.

Also, the camera's owner just called and said it WILL produce an image using live view, but only when using manual focus, not auto focus!

@monteuxgallery wrote:

Also, the camera's owner just called and said it WILL produce an image using live view, but only when using manual focus, not auto focus!

Sounds to me like someone just needs to take the time to learn about DSLRs and become familiar with the T6.  I am not clear on what “produce an image” means because that does not tell me how the check is being made.

Ask your friend to try the camera outdoors on a sunny day.  Aim the camera at something lit up by the sun.  Do not stand too close the subject.  I would say a distance of 20 feet is a good test.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

How about some serious comments from some seasoned photographers?  Anyone out there?

Does the 18-55 autofocus when not in live view?

If not, then your 18-55 may need to be popped back in place.

There are plenty of threads here that discuss the procedure.

Otherwise, we either do not understand your problem, or it requires repair.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Does the 18-55 autofocus when not in live view?

If not, then your 18-55 may need to be popped back in place.

There are plenty of threads here that discuss the procedure.

Otherwise, we either do not understand your problem, or it requires repair.

I'm dubious about that explanation. Yes, the autofocus mechanism can get jammed (by trying to manually focus while the lens is in autofocus mode), which the popping procedure sometimes cures. But the usual symptom is that the image is out of focus, not that it doesn't get taken at all. Also, I'd expect the outcome to be the same in live view as in viewfinder mode, as the lens's autofocus motor (which is what gets jammed) would have to be used in either case.

Some cameras won't take (or can be set not to take) a picture if focus can't be achieved. Again, though, I'd expect (without actually checking the user manual) live view and viewfinder mode to behave the same.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

“Does the 18-55 autofocus when not in live view?”

How do you do that test?  You do the following.

“Ask your friend to try the camera outdoors on a sunny day.  Aim the camera at something lit up by the sun.  Do not stand too close the subject.  I would say a distance of 20 feet is a good test.”

I think the OP has already reported that it does autofocus in the viewfinder. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It almost sounds like your 18-55 may have some kind of damage to its lens mount and is not communicating with your camera, and I am not a serious photographer.

Steve Thomas

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements