cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i won't take clear pictures

MotherTucker
Apprentice
Ok I'm at my wits ends! I've had my t5i since Christmas and have only used a few times around the house with the main lens only. Well today I was planning on taking spring pictures with the kids outdoors so played around with the other lenses that my set came with. I added the super wide angle lens to the regular lens just to see what the difference would be. I then took it off And was just going to use the main lens again and now it's super blurry and won't take photos because it isn't focusing. If I hold the lens almost directly on an object, it's clear and will take a photo but as soon as you are more than a couple centimetres away, it's blurry again. If I out the wide angle lens back on, it's clear and in can take photos again. I've tried resetting to factory settings, taking battery out, it's on A/f.....i just don't know what else to do. PLEASE help!
11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

" . . . I added the super wide angle lens to the regular lens, just to see . . ."

Something about that sounds a little odd to me.  I'm not aware of any Canon branded camera kits that come with a "super wide angle" anything that can be added to the standard camera kit lens.

Make sure that the standard lens AF/MF switch is in the AF position.  The camera needs sufficient light and a minimum focusing distance to properly focus with different lenses.  If your camera is a few months old, then it should still be under the Canon one year warranty.  Contact Canon U.S. Support at 1-800-OK-CANON for the best advice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Try the steps in post 3 of this link. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/td-p/138114

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I added the super wide angle lens to the regular lens just to see what the difference would be."

The difference would be you screwed up the focus mech of your lens.  Never screw auxiliary lenses on the front of a Canon lens.  Very bad idea.

Call Canon Support and tell them exactly what you did.  They will instruct you on how to reset the lens if possible.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I added the super wide angle lens to the regular lens just to see what the difference would be."

The difference would be you screwed up the focus mech of your lens.  Never screw auxiliary lenses on the front of a Canon lens.  Very bad idea.

Call Canon Support and tell them exactly what you did.  They will instruct you on how to reset the lens if possible.

I share your opinion of auxiliary "lenses", but I can't imagine how using one could actually damage the (real) lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I share your opinion of auxiliary "lenses", but I can't imagine how using one could actually damage the (real) lens.

Some would argue that the additional weight can be harmful to the AF motors, especially for a lens that telescopes and rotates the lens barrel to focus itself.  I don't see how the added weight is very different from a lens hood, but I suppose it could.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My vote would be the OP may have bumped something with the aux lens or sideways loaded the lens when attaching the aux lens and that kicked the main lens off center.

I am more confused as to why the diopter was maladjusted simultaineously with the main lens problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"... I can't imagine how using one could actually damage the (real) lens."

ROBERT, you really have to ask?  Smiley Surprised

"...the OP may have bumped something with the aux lens or sideways loaded the lens when attaching the aux lens and that kicked the main lens off center."

In the DSLR classes I used to do, I bet fully half of the Mom's bought their gear from Amazon or Costco where they had these totally useless and worthless packages.  All sorts and manner of junk to use on your brand new Rebel.  I am really surprised that Canon does not instruct its authorized USA dealers to not assemble packages that have the potential to damage the lens or camera.  They should!

Some of those add-on lenses are made of iron I think.  They are so heavy!  Twist it too much or sit the camera down a bit hard. Bump against you side while on the neck strap.  Funny they do warn you about the neck strap not holding heavy lenses. It isn't difficult to see how the damage can occur.

Even if you didn't get a damaged lens out of the package, the package itself is still junk.  A crappy tripod is usually included which in itself could be a factor in a damaged camera.

It is easy to see why folks fall for these packages as it seems Canon is on-board with them.  After all it is from an authorized Canon USA dealer.

EB

MotherTucker
Apprentice
jrhoffman75 that seemed to work! But now it's blurry in my viewfinder but crisp pictures. What do I need to tweak for that issue?

Adjust the viewfinder diopter.  A small knob next to the viewfinder.

EB
Announcements