cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i vs. 60D? Need advices

bigtiger2004
Apprentice

Dear Forum Members,

I am a photography veteran and bought my first Digital Rebel over 10 years. However, in the past few years, I was distracted to focus on other life events and gradually lost contract with the evolution in camera technologies.

Now I am back to this world and need a new camera. Since the Bacl Friday shopping window is short, I don't have enough time to dig out all the facts and compare T5i with 60D. So could someone do me a favor and give a few suggestions on the pros and cons of each camera? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

Here’s a comparison of the specs:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T5i-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

That’ll give you an idea of the main differences.  In general the Canon XXD line is a midclass level crop sensor, compared to the entry class XXXD line (Rebel line, like the T5i, aka 700D).  The XXD camera body is more robust with better sealing (and bulkier), better viewfinder, and usually has some advanced features that the Rebel line doesn’t have.  But just because it’s an “advanced feature” doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll use it.   Many people love the XXD line, others are perfectly happy with the XXXD; only you can decide.  A decision like this is based off of features, the image quality and high ISO performance of these two cameras are pretty much the same.

There are a few factors that Snapsort misses because they look at certain common features and only compare those.

The 60D, being a mid-level body, has a 2nd monochrome LCD screen on the top of the camera which normally displays camera settings, and can also adds some instant-access buttons near the top LCD for quicker access to settings that require either menu navigation or pressing multiple button combinations to access on the T5i.

Also the 60D adds another dial on the rear of the camera -- so you've got two dials (whereas the T5i only has one).  The first dial is just behind the shutter button on the top upper-right corner of the camera.  This is normally operated with your index finger to change settings (which setting it changes depends on which mode you are in.)

The second dial (this is the dial the T5i does not have) is a large dial on the back of the camera and it's positioned so that your thumb can comfortable control that dial even while you are looking through the viewfinder -- so now you've got a finger on the main dial, and a thumb on the back dial.  You can simultaneously adjust (for example) shutter speed and aperture at the same time.

That control layout is much like what you find on high end and pro bodies.

The 60D isn't really bulky -- the 50D had a magnesium alloy body, but Canon made the 60D in a polycarbonate body (like the Rebels).

Note that just because the body is weather sealed does not mean the lens is -- only the L series lenses (and not all of them) have weather sealing.  The weather sealing protects against dust and water provided it is not under pressure.  The camera is not water-proof and should not be submerged.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TCampbell, Thanks!!

I have a question related to the "bulky" aspect of the 60D.  Not that it is or is not bulky, but I notice a real difference in weight between the 60D and T5i.  How does that play out in real life situations?  It seems to me you would notice half way into the day.  It may be subjective and I think this is not the place to go into my history or needs, outside of I am interested in an older model camera, for cost on the one hand, and on the other, I don't need the latest and greatest at my low skill level.

Thanks for any input.

"I don't need the latest and greatest at my low skill level."

You really need to start your own new thread. This one is years and years old. The first thing I would ask is, do you want your "low skill level" to remain "low"? Are you content at this level? If you are perhaps a Canon Powershot camera would serve you best. Very small and lightbut also very capable. Kicks the pants off a iPhone for sure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, ebiggs1. It would seem prudent to start a new thread, as you say. I may do that.

Skirball, Thanks!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements