cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i takes random pictures, please help.

aktors
Apprentice

Does anybody have this problem? My T5i takes random pictures. I have a battery grip so not sure if that would cause any issues. Basically, I have my camera on, I take a picture and move camera back to my side and I hear shutter go off. I raise camera up to take a picture and shutter goes off - taking a picture. It happens sometimes not all the time. My battery grip is "OFF" so I know I'm not accidently clicking on the shutter. This is so annoying eerr!! Please help. 

8 REPLIES 8

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Is the grip a 3rd party grip or is it a Canon grip?  Also... does if you remove the grip and use it without ... will it still do this?

The grip can trigger flakey problems wither it's power switch is on or off because it has electrical contacts that interface with the camera.  You'd have to physically detach the grip to test.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim
Authority

Hello Aktors,

As another user had suggested, this may be an issue with third party hardware.  We would want to check to see if the issue persists without the third party hardware attached.  Also, try another lens on the camera if possible too.  This will help us and others, troubleshoot this issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My battery grip is "OFF" so I know I'm not accidently clicking on the shutter."

Most likely it is the grip, off or not. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ruquick
Apprentice

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have a t2i that does the exact same thing. Mine will also, just as randomly, fail to fire when using a remote shutter release (wired) I too am using a third party grip.

Any luck?

Roy

Remove the grip and deposit it in the round file.  Then hope it did not damage your T2i permanently. If there is no Canon brand grip for a Canon camera it means the camera is not designed to use one.

EB

Thanks for the reply!
I did remove the grip about a week ago, based on the other comments here. I won't know if this will fix the issue until i've been out shooting half a dozen times or so,...it was that random.
I don't know if Canon has a grip for the t2i but the camera has the required contact points. Wouldn't that mean Canon does have one? Hope it was the issue!
Thanks again.
Roy

Hey Roy, I hope all works out for you and the T2i.  Some Rebels had a Canon designed battery grip but not all of them. I do not remember if the T2i was one or not. It's pretty long in the tooth ya know?  Even if it was designed for one, however, it was designed for a Canon grip. Now, Canon and the other camera manufacturers do not disclose how their cameras work. So, all third party makers "guess" how.  Some do a good job as in lenses, for instance, but some do not do so well. Even to the point of damaging the camera.  Batteries are a good example as some off brand batteries work while you should steer clear of others. Some off brand batteries can be totally dangerous.

Here is what you do, reset your Rebel to factory default. Now put your lens in AF not MF be sure to check that. Choose "P" mode.  Set ISO to 200. Set WB to daylight. Now go out on a nice day and shoot a few dozen various shots. If it works, it works and you are good to go.

Good luck.

EB

Ya it's an old dog. It was my first dslr and I still use it for risky stuff, so I do like having it around. I'm also really liking how small it is without the grip! Other than the shutter issue, this thing has been pretty much bullet proof and still works as new with over 120,000 clicks. Great intro to dslr's.
So far so good with the grip removed...and thanks so much for your advice!
Cheers!

Announcements