cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i during midday, makes 3 clicks and flash pops up. Also a T5, did the same thing. Is this common?

hemiman
Apprentice

T5i during midday, makes 3 clicks and flash pops-up.  Also, had a new T5, that did the same thing.  Has this happened to anyone-else?  How to correct this?

9 REPLIES 9

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Hemiman,

Thank you for posting.

Please describe the mode you're using when this occurs. (i.e. "Auto", "P" (Program AE), etc)..  Also, in which type of lighting does this occur?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Auto mode and in partly cloudy to sunny skiy.

First do this.

"Go in to the menus and clear all settings and any custom settings too."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

First do this.

"Go in to the menus and clear all settings and any custom settings too."

Good advice.  Try to reset the camera.

It sounds like the camera could be in continuous shooting mode, or even AEB mode.  The flash popping up makes no sense to me, though. 

[EDIT]  The T5 shutter makes a "click" noise when it activates.  It is a much quieter sound than the 6D, and not anywhere near as loud as a 1D mark IV, or a 7D mark II.  Don't know about the T5i, but likely to be similar to the T5.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Hemiman,

In the Auto mode, the  camera automatically determines the need for flash and other exposure settings, based on the ambient lighting,  Having the flash pop up in bright sunsihine or even on a cloudy day is unusual with the standard (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II) lens, however with a telephoto lens with a maximum aperture of about f/5.6 or smaller, it's possible that you may have insufficient lighting for the image you're trying to capture.

You may want to try shooting in the "P" (Program AE) mode. In this mode, the flash should not deploy automatically. When you shoot a few images,without the flash, take a look at them to see how they look.

If they look underexposed, let us know which lens you're using. Also, when reviewing the images on your camera, press the DISP button a few times, until you see your recorded images with lots of shooting information. In the upper lefthand side, you'll see the shutter speed and aperture. Let us know what those are. Just below the histogram (graph), you'll see the ISO. What's that?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The green square or A mode is Canon's attempt to make the T5/T5i into a point and shoot. Both are much more than that so do get off the green square.

EB

This is a New Camera with Factory Settings.  I have not added or changed any of the settings.  After reading about this being almost common-place, one begins to question, is this model a Lemon ?  This is not only frustating, but embarrassing when "the three clicks with the flash lifting up take place in front of others" at midday, and one cannot take a photo, while others with point and shoot, are taking photos.  Surely, there is an answer to this. 

@hemiman wrote:

This is a New Camera with Factory Settings.  I have not added or changed any of the settings.  After reading about this being almost common-place, one begins to question, is this model a Lemon ?  This is not only frustating, but embarrassing when "the three clicks with the flash lifting up take place in front of others" at midday, and one cannot take a photo, while others with point and shoot, are taking photos.  Surely, there is an answer to this. 

Personally, I have never heard of this before, not with any Canon DSLR.

Based upon what you have reported, it is my understanding that the camera just suddenly does this all by itself, without you touching it, or pushing a button.  It just suddenly emits "three clicks with the flashing lifting up".   Is that correct?

Of course, that's not correct.  Telll us.  What happens before the camera begins clicking?

[EDIT]  It also sounds like the lens cap is still on the lens, too.  I suggest you call Canon U.S. Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

We will need a lot more info like Richard suggested.  But a good start is to reset back to factory.  You probably set something and didn't realize you did.  Go in to the menus and clear all settings and any custom settings too.

EB
Announcements