cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i, bent SD card slot pin....

ecip
Apprentice
So.. Not sure how, but one of the pins is bent. I've tried straightening it, and was somewhat successful, however the camera won't read the card. This is very bad timing as my sisters wedding is next week and I won't have my camera.

I have ordered a replacement card holder slot off eBay and have found a couple places here in Edmonton that are willing to do a component level repair and simply replace the card slot off the board.

Has anyone else had this issue? How much would you guys think Canon would charge for this repair? I'm not sure yet which way I would go.. All camera places here in the city are telling me that it'll be 50 bucks to mail to camera to canon canada, and then they'll let the know of the cost, at which time I can decide to go ahead with the repairs or not.. turn around time of around 6 weeks. This is very inconvenient. You'd think in a city of a million that there would be a shop or ten that can do this repair in a couple days. But nope.
7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Due to your short time line what about a rental camera for te event?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ecip
Apprentice
I'll end up using my old Sony camera, probably. I'll also be calling canon today to hopefully get a quote from them..

I have to say, the SD card slot is horribly designed on this camera. The way the pins are just freely sticking up, it's only a matter of time before one is bent. I'd really suggest to insert an SD card, and leave it, only using the USB cable to transfer the files. Get a big enough sd card so you don't run out of memory while shooting, and never have to swap.

I have never heard of a bent pin in a SD card slot.  CF card slots are notorious for bent pins but not SD.

Only Canon can tell you how much it will cost but I think $200 is a close figure.

BTW, all DSLRs that use a SD card will have the same set-up.  Not just Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Maybe you bent it too far back; can you move it in opposite direction slightly?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ecip
Apprentice
I've spoken to a couple of camera repair techs, apparently bent pins on sd cards are actually quite common and account for a lot of repairs.

My fiancé has a canon digital elph, and the SD card slot is much better designed, i don't think it's possible to accidentally bend the pins. On the t5i the pins are free standing.. It's really **bleep**ty, actually.

I've mailed the camera off to a repair shop in Winnipeg. They tell me they can do a component level repair and have it back to me within a week. Fingers crossed.

I know late to the party but I have the exact same problem. How much did Canon charge you for the same ?

lly3988
Rising Star

Are you sure it's a bent card slot? or a Jam card slot ?

Check out this video -  http://www.photillustrator.com/how-to-fix-your-sd-card-slot/

BTW, there are pins inside a SD card slot. If you use damaged/low quality SD cards, you risk damage the SD card slot/pins.capture-20180501-145211.png

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements