cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i Weird Problem with built in Flash

roowramona
Apprentice

Hello! Im having a weird problem with my t5i. I tried everything, reset configs, change sd card, baterry and nothing.

My built-in flash is firing but on 90% of the time dont work (dont make any effect on the image). 

Check this 2 images that I take with the Auto Mode with flash (on 2 images the flash normally works)

IMG_4356.JPG

and the next one

IMG_4358.JPG

I tried take a picture in a mirror with flash, but the flash dont appear on the image oO. Maybe its out of sync? I dont know what to do.

Anyone?

Thanks!!

11 REPLIES 11

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Did you put it in commander mode and "disable" it?

There actually is a mode where the flash can be used to trigger off-camera flash but not be used to provide light to your subject.   In that mode it fires a pre-flash (when the camera is still closed) to tell the remote flash to fire.  When the shutter opens it will not fire (but presumably the off-camera flash would fire). 

You may simply need to reset that function.  

Also...   if you fire too many shots in rapid succession you may have to wait for the flash's capacitors to recycle.   Otherwise it could miss a shot while recycling.  I'm not sure if this could apply to your situation.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I think you hit the nail on the head with the flash recycling.  You just cannot shoot continuously and expect the flash to keep up.   It takes a few secs to charge when you turn the camera on and it takes time to recharge after a shot or two. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yes, I know commander mode and its not the problem. I tried everything and reset to factory defaults settings. Its not a problem with recycle because its random. I turn on the camera, take a shot and dont work, 5 minutes after, dont work again, and again, and sometimes work like 3 in a row.  BUT, the flash is "firing" at all times.

@roowramona wrote:

Yes, I know commander mode and its not the problem. I tried everything and reset to factory defaults settings. Its not a problem with recycle because its random. I turn on the camera, take a shot and dont work, 5 minutes after, dont work again, and again, and sometimes work like 3 in a row.  BUT, the flash is "firing" at all times.

Uh, what do you mean when you say it doesn't work, but the flash is "firing" at all times.  I assume that don't work means no visible flash.  But, I do not understand what "firing" means.  Are you saying that the image data shows that the flahs has fired for the image, but it actually did not?

Batteries.  Are your batteries keeping their charge, and not discharging after an hour or two.  There is also the possibility that what you're seeing could be related to your ambient lights.  Do you have the same issuess whereever you go, indoors or out?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@roowramona wrote:

Uh, what do you mean when you say it doesn't work, but the flash is "firing" at all times.  I assume that don't work means no visible flash.  But, I do not understand what "firing" means.  Are you saying that the image data shows that the flahs has fired for the image, but it actually did not?

Batteries.  Are your batteries keeping their charge, and not discharging after an hour or two.  There is also the possibility that what you're seeing could be related to your ambient lights.  Do you have the same issuess whereever you go, indoors or out?

I can see the flash. Its working, BUT there's no effect in the image like the first image that I posted. I saw the flash but when I see the image its like have no flash at all. 

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

Check out this 2 images. I saw the flash in both, but on the first image theres no effect. 

Thanks everybody that is trying to help 😃

EDIT:

I test indoors and outdoors, same problem.

I bought a new battery today and nothing =( same problem. 

Peter
Authority
Authority
Can you upload pictures with Exif? Take a jpg and upload without photoshop or something else.

@Peter wrote:
Can you upload pictures with Exif? Take a jpg and upload without photoshop or something else.

here:

IMG_4446.JPG

Peter
Authority
Authority
And a similar one with exif and where the flash works?

I think it is time for Canon Service Centre.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Is it the same with another lens or if it works without the lens?
Announcements