cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i View Finder Meter

sisabell
Contributor

Hello, new here and new to Canon. Recently purchased a used T5i with 18-55 kit lens. I am new to DSLR cameras but learning. Realized I'm having an issue and wanted to make sure I'm not being dumb. 

In live view, I can take photos in any mode and the exposure meter seems to work as designed. With live view off and trying to take photos through view finder the camera meter things everything is WAY under exposed. if you adjust enough to bring the meter up to even -2 the picture is terrible and blown out. 

With the camera in auto mode inside a well lit room it tries to take pictures with a 20-30 second shutter. 

Just curious if anyone else has every ran into this and what the remedy was...

Thanks for any help

21 REPLIES 21

sisabell
Contributor
Yeah I actually haven’t even used the battery grip. I’ll do some research on cleaning and look into the option of sending it in. Balloon festival sounds cool!

"I’ll do some research on cleaning and look into the option of sending it in."

If you get it for free I guess it isn't a bad idea but don't count on it helping. If it truly has internal failure it isn't worth spending too much repairing it. I have seen what you got go for $200 bucks routinely. Bodies alone for even less.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements