cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i View Finder Meter

sisabell
Contributor

Hello, new here and new to Canon. Recently purchased a used T5i with 18-55 kit lens. I am new to DSLR cameras but learning. Realized I'm having an issue and wanted to make sure I'm not being dumb. 

In live view, I can take photos in any mode and the exposure meter seems to work as designed. With live view off and trying to take photos through view finder the camera meter things everything is WAY under exposed. if you adjust enough to bring the meter up to even -2 the picture is terrible and blown out. 

With the camera in auto mode inside a well lit room it tries to take pictures with a 20-30 second shutter. 

Just curious if anyone else has every ran into this and what the remedy was...

Thanks for any help

21 REPLIES 21

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

LiveView reads exposure directly via the sensor. When using the optical viewfinder you are using a different metering system.

First thing to do is reset camera to factory settings following steps 1 and 2 below:

Annotation 2019-12-11 053329.jpg

Then let us know what is happening.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

sisabell
Contributor
Hi thanks for the reply.
I have reset the camera several times to make sure it wasn’t a goofy setting.

And I do understand that they use different metering systems, that’s my concern actually, that the meter in the camera that works with the view finder is damaged in some way or another.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Since you reset the camera and have that problem you should contact the seller.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

What mode are you in?

Try it in green square outside on a sunny day.

sisabell
Contributor
It doesn’t seem to matter what mode I’m in. Manual is the only way I can get usable pictures with the viewfinder but the meter tells me it’s way under exposed even though it’s not. Any of the other modes it does all sorts of wacky stuff trying to get it “right” and if you take that picture it’s blown out bad.
I searched for a few hours on different forums and couldn’t really find anyone with the same issue.

I don't consider dialing in +2 of exposure compensation to be wacky stuff, but it is still not right. It appears the camera is defective.

We have occasionally had people here with the same problem, but it is rare, and involves repairing the camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Recently purchased a used T5i with 18-55 kit lens"

You need to return it today.  Rebels with kit lens can be a good buy used but you must test them out carefully. They are not fragile but certainly not super strongly built.  Easy to damage and or abuse.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

sisabell
Contributor
Private sale so no returning. Thought I was getting a steal as I only paid $150 for it and had three batteries and battery grip. Sucks it’s not working 100% but at least live view works as it should.

You can do a "cleaning" without the lens and see if you see anything obvious in the mirrorbox.

Announcements