cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i LCD screen just stopped working.

samredekop
Apprentice

I have a rebel t5i and it was working perfectly fine two days ago. I turned it on last night to take some night photos and the battery was almost dead, but the screen flickered on and then shut off, and I assumed it was just because the battery was very low. However, when I put in my other battery, and turned the camera on, the screen stayed blank. Problem was, I could heard the camera take a picture still when I clicked the shutter button and it made sound when I switched the camera into video mode. But no screen. Live view would not turn on when I changed to video mode and the screen wouldn't display any pictures or options or anything in photo mode. Just blank. Any help?

9 REPLIES 9

ezpop
Rising Star

try plugging the cable to the camera and connect it to your PC. open EOS utility and see how it turns out.

angelannie25
Apprentice
I am also having this problem with my new T5. For a split second, it will flicker on to the display menu either after turning on, closing the battery door, or depressing the shutter halfway. Same with a flicker of an image after taking a photo. I have checked (and fiddled with) the rubber around the viewfinder to ensure it's not a problem with the sensor there. Same issue as Sam above -- switching to liveview or video mode does not activate the LCD.

To be clear, this appears
1) not to be a setting problem
2) not to be a viewfinder sensor problem and
3) not to be a completely dead LCD -- there is a flicker of it working at startup and the LCD does "glow" afterward, but is black/blank.

There is no apparent way to access the menus (other than basic shutter/aperture information in the footer of the viewfinder itself).

Any help before I start the warranty process is much appreciated.

Start the warranty process.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MiracleB
Contributor

This just started happening to me too.  Nothing to be done??

I sent mine off for warranty repair.  Came back as good as new and no issues (and a lot of usage) since.  

MiracleB
Contributor

Just got off the phone with Canon.

Turns out the info button next to the menu button can keep the menu screen from popping up under certain conditions.

He had me push the info buton twice, lo and behold Menu is working again.

Must have accidentally hit the info button last night shooting downtown in the dark.

so.... yay! Enjoy a picture. She is a Dew Drop spider.

newsebelltests_watermarked-8.jpg

Even better -- congrats on an easy fix (I was not so lucky -- I believe they eneded up replacing some of the gadgetry with the screen on mine in warranty).  Nice shot!

Pressing the "Info" button causes the camera to cycle through several optiona types of information that can be displayed on the LCD screen... but one of those options is to turn the rear-LCD off so that it doesn't display anything (it will light up if you press the "menu" button.)

When we do astro-photography, we intentionally turn off the rear-lcd to protect our dark-adapted eyes (night vision) so we use that "info" button a lot to turn the display on and off.

You could also turn it off to conserve the power drain.

I really enjoy the rainbow of colors in the dew drops along the web.  Great shot!

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

MJD
Apprentice

Bought the rebel ti between Christmas and New Years 2015.  Camera, new lenses, bag, batteries cards you name $1450.00 including extended warrenty.  Took a couple shots on it when I got home and then got it ready for our first vacation in February.  Took it on the trip and first day there it malfunctions like yours, it flickers, blinks goes dead then back on then flickers again.  Send it to Canon and three weeks later it is returned and told they replaced the LCD screen.  Take it home take about 20 shots seems to work fine.  Rent $250 worth of Karaoke equipment for a party at the end of March, set everything up, first singer I go to record malfuctions, same thing so back to the camera store.  Won't mention the store yet because still haven't worked out what they are doing for me.  Less than 3 months and no real photos to show.  Seems like Canon may have more issues with these Cameras than what they let on.  Good luck

Announcements