cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i Image Review Through Viewfinder?

raphaelr
Apprentice

I just upgraded to a EOS Rebel T5i (my old camera was a SX20 IS).  Although I am going through the manual, I have not been able to find the answer to several questions.   This is one of them -- I apologize upfront for the Newbie questions

I usually look through the viewfinder rather than the LCD when I take pictures.   

My settings: Image Review = 2 Seconds; Mode Dial = A (Scene Intelligent Auto)

Problem: When I take a picture, I expect to see the image of the picture just taken for two seconds.  However, this does not happen.  (If I take the picture using the LCD, I do get the two second image.)

QUESTION: Is there a way to do an image review through the viewfinder after taking a picture?

EMT-RR
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@raphaelr wrote:

I just upgraded to a EOS Rebel T5i (my old camera was a SX20 IS).  Although I am going through the manual, I have not been able to find the answer to several questions.   This is one of them -- I apologize upfront for the Newbie questions

Problem: When I take a picture, I expect to see the image of the picture just taken for two seconds.  However, this does not happen.  (If I take the picture using the LCD, I do get the two second image.)

QUESTION: Is there a way to do an image review through the viewfinder after taking a picture?

The review image will not be visible in the viewfinder (at least not on any Canon I ever used). But you should see it on the screen, regardless of how you took the picture. IIRC, the T5i has a flippable screen. Obviously you won't see the image if the screen surface is folded against the back of the camera. (But you knew that!)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

Skirball
Authority

@raphaelr wrote:

No.  The T5i is a digital SLR camera. No SLR cameras can do that; it goes against the design of an SLR.

The viewfinder in a dSLR shows you the actual image that your camera sees when it takes a photo.  Not an electronic version of theimage, but the real thing.  Right through the lens, bounces off a mirror and up into a prism that you look through in the viewfinder.  The mirror flips up to take a photo and quickly back down and you're looking at the actual image again.

Your previous camera was not an SLR, despite being designed to look like one.  The image you were seeing through the viewfinder was actually a small electronic screen, much like the one on the back, that is put in the viewfinder.  That's how they're able to show you the image afterwards.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@raphaelr wrote:

The review image will not be visible in the viewfinder (at least not on any Canon I ever used). But you should see it on the screen, regardless of how you took the picture. IIRC, the T5i has a flippable screen. Obviously you won't see the image if the screen surface is folded against the back of the camera. (But you knew that!)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Skirball
Authority

@raphaelr wrote:

No.  The T5i is a digital SLR camera. No SLR cameras can do that; it goes against the design of an SLR.

The viewfinder in a dSLR shows you the actual image that your camera sees when it takes a photo.  Not an electronic version of theimage, but the real thing.  Right through the lens, bounces off a mirror and up into a prism that you look through in the viewfinder.  The mirror flips up to take a photo and quickly back down and you're looking at the actual image again.

Your previous camera was not an SLR, despite being designed to look like one.  The image you were seeing through the viewfinder was actually a small electronic screen, much like the one on the back, that is put in the viewfinder.  That's how they're able to show you the image afterwards.

Announcements