cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i Flash Rarely Works

t5i_user
Apprentice

I bought the T5i a year ago and just experienced the same issue. I have reset to factory setting and still experiences the same issue. I have attached a sample photo below that I took recently. This was taken with auto-mode, indoors in the evening with incandescent lighting. Do I need to buy a new camera? Is there a part I need to replace?

canon_t5i.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You were in Auto, and the camera decided you had enough light to expose the subject without flash.

Switch to Prgram and manually activate flash.

DPP Auto Adjust brightened it a little.Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@t5i_user wrote:

I bought the T5i a year ago and just experienced the same issue. I have reset to factory setting and still experiences the same issue. I have attached a sample photo below that I took recently. This was taken with auto-mode, indoors in the evening with incandescent lighting. Do I need to buy a new camera? Is there a part I need to replace?

canon_t5i.jpg

Probably the camera's metering system is being fooled by the highly reflecttive surfaces in the background. The correct way to handle it is with bounce flash; but of course that requires an external flash unit, unless you want to try to fabricate a foil or paper reflector to divert the beam. Unfortunately, there are some situations for which built-in flash is simply an inadequate tool.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Based on Bob's comment, did flash not fire or did flash fire and you didn't get the exposure you wanted?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The flash does not fire. Instead, there is a light located in front of the camera, below the ISO button, that would flash orange instead. I don't think this is normal because this just started happening recently and I have had this camera for awhile and would have noticed this with the amount of pictures I have taken.

Also, I tried using programmable mode and the same thing happened. Not sure if I adjusted manual flash right, but overall, essnetially, no matter what mode I'm in, I get the same yellow picture quality.

I am having the same problem.  I bought the camera last november.  Hope we can find some answers

That's the red eye reduction/self-timer light.

Make sure that you don't have any special features set by reseting the camera.

Menu 4 dot wrench clear settings.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

If the red eye reduction light is coming on, but the flash isn't flashing, perhaps camera needs repair. I tried it on my camera and flash does fire when moving bar in viewfinder disappears and orange light goes out.

Call the Canon support number and talk with them.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I am having the same problem and have been trying all that you all are mentioning.  I just went to clear the settings.  The 4th wrench is not available in the A mode. Is that normal?  I did find it in P and reset.  The camera does some shots fine now and others not at all.  Do I need to contact Canon?

Appreciate any help

Normal not to have reset in A+ mode. I suggest calling Canon. I have always found them helpful.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements